Programs for high schoolers (offered remotely in 2020)

Calling All High School Students: 
Apply to The Daily’s 3-Week, All-Remote Winter Journalism Workshop!

Click here to access the application (don’t worry, it’s short!). 

Deadline to Apply: November 7th at 11:59 p.m. PT. 

This winter, The Daily is offering a new three-week, all-remote Winter Journalism Workshop! We’ll teach high schoolers the fundamentals of journalism through real-world reporting assignments, with opportunities to get their work published on The Stanford Daily’s website as they receive one-on-one guidance from Daily editors in weekly check-in meetings and lessons. 

Even if you’ve done a program with us before, you’re sure to learn new skills, encounter new challenges, and ultimately level up your journalistic toolkit! We have all-new content and guest speakers with fresh and exciting perspectives to bring to the table. 

This workshop is open to participants of all skill levels — our editors will work with you at whatever pace you’re comfortable with and get you up to speed regardless of your level of experience. 

This is a tuition-based program with full and partial need-based aid offered to all accepted applicants under an honor system (see below for more detail). We also offer a Free Friday series featuring lectures on a variety of topics. Scroll down for more info or click here to jump.

Over the course of the three-week workshop, participants will get hands-on experience in the end-to-end process of news reporting, including:

• How to find stories and assess their newsworthiness
  • How to identify and interview sources
  • How to craft well-structured, interesting news pieces
  • How to write breaking news
  • How to navigate the ethics of community reporting and report on sensitive subjects
  • And more!
  • Our program gives students the skills that will prepare them for college journalism and up their game in high school as well. Our work is complemented by social activities: We want you to have the opportunity to connect with fellow participants and Daily staffers!

Participants are assigned to beats for the duration of the program: around 10 writers with two editors, for a 5:1 participant-to-editor ratio, which allows them to work closely with Daily staffers while getting to know the other participants in the program. 

They’ll be immersed in the program through a dedicated Slack workspace where editors guide participants through their work on a day-to-day basis and participants get the chance to know each other. This makes it easy for any given participant to get help from a Daily staffer at virtually any time, and for participants to form a network of other high schoolers interested in journalism. 

This model prepares participants for college journalism through real work experience. Participants are not limited to writing and will also be able to work with editors experienced in podcasts, graphics, tech and more.

Each week, participants will attend workshops on different aspects of journalism, led by the program’s managing editors, and they’ll get to participate in live weekly webinars featuring professionals from the field. In the past, speakers have included WIRED editor-in-chief (and Daily alum!) Nicholas Thompson and Mercury News assistant managing editor Mike Frankel. 

Additionally, participants are assigned to beats for the duration of the program: around 10 writers with two editors, for a 5:1 participant-to-editor ratio, which allows them to work closely with Daily staffers while getting to know the other participants in the program. 

Participants will meet with their beats on a weekly basis to go over the content from that week’s workshop and speaker event, and they’ll claim assignments to work on throughout the week. Participants will also meet with their editors in separate one-on-one meetings.

Participants will be expected to put in at least seven hours of work each week, but they can work as many hours as they’d like, as our editors are always on call to help with participants’ projects and get them published to our audience.

The workshop will be held from Monday, Nov. 30th, 2020 to Friday, December 18th, 2020. We will offer the weekly lecture at two different times (TBD) to accommodate varying time zones and availabilities — one during a weekday evening and another during a weekend morning/early afternoon (both Pacific Time). The lecture content will be the same for each.

DON’T WORRY if you cannot attend all of the remote training sessions. We understand circumstances are rapidly changing for many of us, and we will take measures such as sharing extensive notes and recording the training sessions (participants will not be recorded) to ensure resources are accessible to our participants. It is okay to participate in The Daily’s workshop and other extracurriculars concurrently, as you can shape your own schedule in our program.

The program fee for 3 weeks is $750 total (about $250/week), accepted via Paypal. This goes toward The Daily’s operational costs. If participants have any incomplete projects left upon the program’s official end date, we will work with them to see those projects to completion at no additional cost. 

We have both partial and full need-based scholarships available to all students under an honor system. We are committed to offering financial aid scholarships to ALL accepted students with need, and you won’t need to fill out any complicated financial forms to enable this process. If either a partial or full need-based scholarship would make a difference in helping you participate in our program, simply indicate your preferred amount in the program application and we will work to meet everyone’s need in full. 

To clarify, our aid is reserved for when applicants and/or their guardians would be unable to reasonably afford the program fee. Students who receive aid are typically low-income or have an extenuating circumstance causing the program fee to present a barrier. An example of when a scholarship would not apply is when a student and/or their guardians are not willing to pay for the program but have the resources to afford it without financial hardship.

If you have any questions related to financial aid or would like to meet with us to discuss options, please don’t hesitate to email [email protected] We are committed to working with you to put together a scholarship package that meets your needs.

Want more information?

Feel free to email [email protected] with any additional questions!

We will evaluate applications on a rolling basis and get back to you with a decision/next steps within one week of receiving your application

Free Fridays lecture series

Starting this September, we are also offering a series of FREE mini workshops open to the public, led by our top editors and section leaders! Learn how to craft a great news lede, make graphics, create beautiful data visualizations in Flourish, draft a compelling opinion, and more!

Our workshops are beginner-friendly, and no experience is required! Whether you’re a high school student with no prior journalism experience or an experienced writer who’s interested in picking up some new skills, our workshops are open to individuals of any skill level and background.

All you need is access to a computer with Internet connection — any software or tools we will demonstrate are free and open-source.

The first 3 weeks of our fall schedule are now LIVE! 

Sign-ups close 72 hours before the scheduled event. Zoom links to events will be provided shortly after sign-ups close. 

More dates to come in the near future! October sessions from our Opinions, News, and Magazine/Investigative Journalism teams will be announced in a few weeks as the dates grow nearer.

You can sign up using this form (also embedded below) to receive reminders.

Our paid programs offer full and partial need-based aid to all accepted applicants under an honor system.