Cardinal sailing wins Captain Hurst Bowl over weekend

Stanford sailing competed in three regattas on the East Coast over the weekend and took first place at the Captain Hurst Bowl. The Cardinal also sailed to fourth place in the Women’s Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Championship and finished 12th at the Nevins Trophy Regatta. 

In Hanover, N.H., at Captain Hurst, the Cardinal sailed to first place overall out of 15 boats in a three-division competition. Stanford held the lead for all 14 races and won with a 25-point gap separating it from the second place team. 

In the A Division, senior skipper Jack Parkin and senior crew Sammy Pickell won three races and placed in the top five of 11 races for a total of 57 points. Senior skipper Wiley Rogers competed with junior skipper AnaClare Sole as the crew earned the lowest total score of Stanford’s three boats with 52 points, finishing in the top ten of all 14 races and winning three. Finally, in the C Division, fifth-year skipper Stephanie Houck and sophomore crew Gwendolyn Donahue recorded 86 points, finishing 11th and 14th in the eighth and ninth races but also capturing two first-place finishes. 

Competing in the Women’s ACC Championship in Cambridge, Massachusetts, junior skipper Michelle Lahrkamp and junior crew Patricia Gerli recorded 125 of the Cardinal’s 243 points in the A Division. The pair started strong on Saturday by winning the first race, but later slowed down, finishing four races in the bottom half of the 18 boats. On Sunday, they turned it around to finish five races in the top five. 

In the B Division, sophomore skipper Berta Puig collected 118 points total, racing with junior crew Abigail Tindall for all but one race when sophomore crew Grace Austin hopped into the boat for the tenth round. The boat earned 15 top-ten finishes in 18 races with late wins in the 14th and the 18th. 

Finally, the Cardinal finished 12th out of 18 in the Nevins Trophy. The conditions in Kings Point, New York were difficult as the winds kept shifting between WNW and NNW. In Division A, senior skipper John Kirkpatrick and senior crew Laurel Foster finished nine of their 17 races in the bottom five and did not finish the penultimate race. The pair in boat A recorded 224 points overall. Junior skipper Justin Lim and fifth-year crew Matthew Hogan finished in the top five in seven races and in the top ten for all but three for a total of 125 points in Division B. 

Up next, sailing will travel east again for the Co-ed Atlantic Coast Championship in St. Mary’s City, Maryland on Saturday and Sunday.

Maya Somers is a staff writer in the sports section. She is a junior from Seattle, Washington interested in studying Human Biology. She enjoys drinking coffee and watching professional tennis highlight reels. Contact her at sports 'at' stanforddaily.com.