First person with coronavirus in Santa Clara County now fully recovered

The first individual in Santa Clara County who was confirmed to have coronavirus has now fully recovered, according to a statement from the Santa Clara Public Health Department (SCPHD). The resident, an adult male, was released from isolation upon confirmation of his recovery.

“He was never sick enough to be hospitalized,” wrote SCPHD Public Health Communications Officer Marianna Moles in a statement to the media. “He isolated at home and was monitored by public health staff for the duration of his isolation.”

The unnamed individual, who was revealed to have the virus on Jan. 31, is one of two people within the county who have been infected with the coronavirus. The other individual is a woman who came from Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus, on Jan. 23. 

“The Public Health Department continues to work closely with healthcare providers, hospitals, and its partners to address novel coronavirus,” Moles wrote. “Currently, there is no evidence that novel coronavirus is circulating in Santa Clara County, and risk remains low.”

The University continues to restrict all travel to China and encourages those who have recently returned to the U.S. from China to self-isolate for 14 days.

Contact Camryn Pak at cpak23 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Camryn Pak '23 is a desk editor for news. She is majoring in American Studies with a focus on Inequality, Media and the Law. Contact her at cpak23 'at' stanford.edu.