BOSP to Launch ‘Stanford at C++’

Satire by

Stanford’s Bing Overseas Studies Program (BOSP) will introduce a new program starting in fall quarter 2020-21 in one of the world’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan urban centers: Mountain View, California. “Stanford at C++,” modeled after Stanford at Sea seminars, launches next year as a part of Stanford’s efforts to integrate computer science and tech culture.

BOSP Executive Director Shawna Knauff said that after substantial research and extensive discussions with multiple stakeholder groups, Mountain View emerged as the clear winner.

“Practically every student here interns at Google’s headquarters at one point,” Knauff said. “By combining Stanford in Washington’s internship component and providing exposure to large tech companies, we will be able to provide the exact same opportunities for students at Stanford, thus eliminating any and all creativity on campus.”

“Given Google’s potential misuse of search results, privacy concerns and copyright issues, I am excited to learn all the tricks of the trade when it comes to avoiding accountability,” said CS major Bill Gigabyte ’21.

BOSP had previously committed to finding a new study-abroad opportunity for students after realizing everyone comes in believing they’ll major in CS regardless. While the new program will take place in nearby Mountain View, BOSP will encourage students to “expand their horizons” on the weekends.

“I can already see myself going to Facebook on the weekends. It’s really nice to leave the Mountain View campus and take a break to just chill out in Menlo Park,” said Ada Lovelace ’22.

At the press release, a waitlist for CS 106A was created to meet student demand given the anticipation of the course as a prerequisite for studying abroad.

Editor’s Note: This article is purely satirical and fictitious. All attributions in this article are not genuine and this story should be read in the context of pure entertainment only.

Contact Richard Coca at richcoca ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Richard Coca '22 is one of the managing editors of The Grind for volume 258, having previously served as managing editor of Satire, and CLIP Co-chair before that. He is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Anthropology. Contact him at richcoca 'at' stanford.edu.