George Shultz, eight former student-athletes honored by Stanford Athletics Hall of Fame

Eight accomplished former student-athletes will be enshrined into the 2019 Stanford Athletics Hall of Fame Class, the athletics department announced on Monday. Former U.S. Secretary of State and long-time Cardinal fan, George Shultz will also be honored with a special recognition.

The eight former Cardinal are Foluke Akinradewo ’09 (women’s volleyball), Tabitha Yim ’08 (women’s gymnastics), Tanner Gardner ’08 (wrestling), Mark Madsen ’00 (men’s basketball), Jeff Austin ’99 (baseball), Susan Hagey Wall ’79 (women’s tennis), Diane Morrison Shropshire ’79 (women’s tennis) and Bill Tarr ’55, (football). 

The group will officially be inducted on Sept. 20 in a private event, followed by a public recognition on Sept. 21 during the Stanford-Oregon home football game.

The inaugural class of the Stanford Hall of Fame was inducted in 1954, and since then the Hall has grown to 441 members — with the addition of this year’s class — spanning 35 sports.

Middle blocker Foluke Akinradewo ’09 plays in Stanford’s 25-18, 25-13, 25-16 win against the Arizona State Sun Devils on October 12, 2008 at Maples Pavilion. (Photo: Kyle Terada/isiphotos.com)

Foluke Akinradewo ’09, Women’s Volleyball

A four-time American Volleyball Coaches Association All-American, Akinradewo graduated as one of the most distinguished players in program history. In her junior and senior years, she was named both the National Player of the Year and Pac-10 Player of the Year. After a freshman campaign that saw her honored as the 2005 Pac-10 Freshman of the Year, she led the Cardinal to three straight NCAA runner-up finishes. She produced a nation-leading .499 hitting percentage her junior season, setting a Stanford single-season record. She also completed her collegiate career with a .446 hitting percentage, the highest of any NCAA Division I player. 

Since graduating as a human biology major, she has competed professionally for nine years. For the last two seasons, she has played in Japan, where she was named the Best Spiker in 2017-18 and Best Spiker, Best Blocker and Most Valuable Player in 2018-19. In 2012, she helped Team USA win a silver medal at the London Olympic Games and was selected as the Best Middle Blocker during the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

Tabitha Yim ’08 won the all-around competition during the NCAA West Regional women’s gymnastics championships at Maples Pavilion on April 8, 2006. (Photo: David Gonzales/isiphotos.com)

Tabitha Yim ’08, Women’s Gymnastics

Before beginning her tenure as head coach of the women’s gymnastics program in spring 2017, Yim was better known as one of the most accomplished gymnasts in Stanford history. She placed within the top-10 at the NCAA Championships in all-around competition all four years of college, earning 14 All-America honors. Locally, she was named the Pac-10 and Regional Gymnast of the Year and selected to the Pac-10 All-Academic first team in her senior year. Her list of accomplishments includes two regional titles and one Pac-10 crown on the balance beam, two regional uneven bars titles and two third-place finishes in the floor exercise at the NCAA Championships.

She graduated with a degree in human biology in 2008 and spent the following two years teaching before returning to Stanford in 2010 to coach the women’s gymnastics team in all four events. In 2015, she was named the head coach at the University of Arizona, but returned to the Farm in 2017 to take on the same position.

Tanner Gardner ’08 earned his 15th pin of the season over Zack Bigboy (blue) during Stanford’s 22-16 win over Cal State Bakersfield at the Ford Center on Jan. 24, 2008. (Photo: Daniel Harris/isiphotos.com)

Tanner Gardner ’08, Wrestling

It was only a matter of time before the school leader in wrestling wins would make his appearance in the Hall of Fame. Gardner celebrated 145 victories and is only one of two three-time All-Americans in program history. He set a single-season record for the most wins with 43 victories as a senior in 2008, the same season which saw him collect a program-best 19 pins and career-best fifth-place finish at the NCAA Championships. He amasted 40 pins throughout his career, ranking him second in program history. Known for his “relentless work ethic,” Gardner claimed back-to-back Pac-10 title in 2007 and 2008, becoming just the third to do so in program history. He has multiple 40-win seasons to his name, being the only wrestler in school history to accomplish the feat. By the end of his collegiate career, he held a record of 145-38 and 53-8 in dual matches.

Since graduating from Stanford with degrees in public policy and sociology, the three-time Academic All-American earned his MBA from Harvard Business School and is currently the chief operating officer for Rice University athletics.

Mark Madsen ’00 celebrates a dunk following an Art Lee steal against Rhode Island in the 1998 Midwest Regional Finals. Madsen was fouled, and he made a free throw to give Stanford a 76-74 lead. Stanford won the game 79-77 to advance to the Final Four. (Photo: isiphotos.com)

Mark Madsen ’00, Men’s Basketball

Nicknamed “Mad Dog” for his competitive nature and physical style of play, Madsen helped Stanford reach the Final Four in 1998. The two-time All-American averaged 10.9 points and 7.8 rebounds during his four years on the Farm. One of his most remembered moments is dunking and making a free throw against Rhode Island to shockingly advance Stanford to the Final Four. He holds the fourth-best career field goal percentage (.587) and sixth-most rebounds (857) in school history.  

Madsen was selected in the first round — No. 29 overall — of the 2000 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Lakers, helping them win back-to-back NBA titles in 2001 and 2002. His professional career extended nine years and include stints with Minnesota and the Los Angeles Clippers. In 2012, he served as an assistant coach for the Cardinal before becoming the head coach of the Los Angeles D-Fenders and later the Lakers. He now serves as the head coach of Utah Valley of the Western Athletic Conference.

Jeff Austin ’99 works as an assistant coach during Stanford’s game against the St. Mary’s Gaels at Sunken Diamond on April 23, 2008. (Photo: Kyle Terada/isiphotos.com)

Jeff Austin ’99, Baseball

Before being selected as the fourth overall pick in the 1998 Major League Baseball Draft by the Kansas City Royals, Austin built up an impressive resume in his three years on the Farm. In all three seasons, Austin led the Cardinal to at least 40 wins and NCAA Regional berths, including the 1997 team that earned the program’s 10th appearance at the College World Series. In nearly 310 innings pitched, Austin averaged a 3.11 ERA and accumulated 136 strikeouts and only 32 walks. After being drafted by the Royals, he made 38 major league appearance with the Royals (2001-02) and Cincinnati Reds (2003). He returned to Stanford in 2008 to serve as the pitching coach for two years, coaching the Cardinal to the College World Series in 2008.

Susan Hagey Wall ’79 came from a tennis family and became one of the most famed players to participate in Stanford women’s tennis (Photo: gostanford.com)

Susan Hagey Wall ’79, Women’s Tennis (Photo from Stanford Athletics)

A tennis-born player, Hagey is the program’s first four-time All-American (1976-79). She primarily teamed with Diane Morrison — also included in the 2019 Hall Of Fame class — and celebrated AIAW Doubles titles in 1975 and 1976. Her collegiate career was quite dominant, including a three-year stretch where she and Morrison were nearly unbeatable. The pair almost won their third-straight national doubles titles in 1978 but lost in the final round to Cardinal teammates Barbara and Kathy Jordan. Tennis runs in her genes. Her father, Robert, was a top-ranked player, and her siblings each became All-Americans in their time on the Farm. 

Hagey was well-known internationally. In 1979, she was on the singles and doubles competition at the Pan American Games and won the New Zealand Open singles in 1982. She became a member of the U.S. Olympic Committee, serving as the tennis representative on the Athletes Advisory Council from 1980-88. In 1985, she served as the U.S. representative at the International Olympic Academy meetings in Greece. 

Diane Morrison Shropshire ’79 was a star in not just tennis but also academics, earning a Doctor of Medicine at UCLA. (Photo: gostanford.com)

Diane Morrison Shropshire ’79, Women’s Tennis

Shropshire arrived at Stanford on an academic scholarship and made the team as a walk-on. She quickly made her presence known, winning the AIAW doubles championships twice with teammate Susie Hagey. The nearly unbeatable duo advanced to the doubles championships in 1978 for a chance at a three-peat, but lost to teammates Barbara and Kathy Jordan. Morrison helped Stanford win the AIAW national title in 1978. She completed her collegiate career as a three-time All-American from 1976-1978 and graduated with a degree in mathematics in 1979. That same year, she advanced to the third round of the U.S. Open. Her professional career includes reaching the quarterfinals of the New South Wales Open in Australia and qualifying for the main draw at Wimbledon three times. In 1981, Morrison put a close to her professional career and returned to school, earning a Doctor of Medicine at UCLA. 

Bill Tarr ’55 was referred to as “one of the special guys” in Stanford football history by former teammate and former Stanford head coach Paul Wiggin ’57. (Photo: gostanford.com)

Bill Tarr ’55, Football (Photo from Stanford Athletics)

Tarr has some of the most impressive statistics of his time, leading the Pacific Coast Conference in rushing with 729 yards in 1954 while also intercepting four passes as a linebacker. The following year, he championed Stanford to a 6-0 upset of No. 8 Ohio State Buckeyes, surpassing 100 yards rushing and besting Heisman Trophy winner Howard “Hopalong” Cassidy. He completed his collegiate career as Stanford’s all-time leading rusher (1,593 yards), a distinction he held for a decade until Ray Handley, a former NFL player and head coach for the New York Giants, rushed for 1,768 yards (1963-1965). 

However, he is better remembered for his “effort, leadership and inspiration.” He was a team captain, twice earned the Irving S. Zeimer Award given to “the most valuable player” and earned the Jim Reynolds Award for being the most inspirational senior. 

“You can talk about a number of people associated with Stanford football and they will tell you Bill Tarr is one of the special guys in history,” said former Stanford head coach and teammate of Tarr, Paul Wiggin ’57.  

Since becoming a fellow at the Center for Advanced Studies in Behavioral Sciences at Stanford in 1968-69, former Secretary of State George Shultz has been a prominent figure in support of Stanford sports. (Photo: gostanford.com)

George Shultz, Special Recognition

Among an impressive list of accolades and accomplishments, Shultz served under three presidents and is one of two individuals to have served in four different cabinet positions. The Thomas W. and Susan B. Ford Distinguished Fellow at the Hoover Institution, Shultz served as the Secretary of State for Ronald Reagan from 1982-89. In 1989, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest U.S. civilian honor.

Since becoming a fellow at the Center for Advanced Studies in Behavioral Sciences at Stanford in 1968-69, Shultz has been a prominent figure in support of the University. He regularly attends football and basketball games and has helped raise money for the school’s golf programs by hosting the Shultz Cup for 25 years. 

Contact Alejandro Salinas at asalinas ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alejandro Salinas '21 is a Senior Staff Writer after serving as the Managing Editor of Sports for two volumes. Hailing from Pasadena, CA, he studies computer science and biology as a junior. In his free time he enjoys running, playing with dogs and watching sports. Contact him at asalinas 'at' stanforddaily.com.