Two people die after being struck by separate Caltrains on Monday

Monday's collisions mark the eighth and ninth Caltrain-related deaths this year.(FRANCES GUO/The Stanford Daily)

Two pedestrians were struck and killed by Caltrains in separate incidents on Monday. The first fatal collision occurred on the tracks in Burlingame around 4:45 p.m. The second happened in Mountain View, near the Castro Street crossing, around 7:50 p.m.

Monday’s collisions mark the eighth and ninth Caltrain-related deaths this year.

75-year-old Michael J. Nichols was identified as the person killed in the Burlingame incident at the North Lane crossing. Nichols and the other deceased individual, who is yet to be identified, were both hit after trespassing on the tracks, Caltrain announced. Caltrain spokesperson Tasha Bartholomew said it is too soon to determine whether the deaths were intentional or accidental. 

Trains began single-tracking after both incidents, and delays of up to 90 minutes were reported to passengers. 

There were 750 passengers on the train in Burlingame and 118 passengers on the train in Mountain View when the respective incidents occurred. No passenger injuries were reported for either incident.

Contact Andrea Sun at andreatsun ‘at’ gmail.com.