Accessibility statementSkip to main content
We need your help: All banner donations made today will support The Daily's new staff financial aid program.
Learn more and donate.

Amid excessive heat warning, comfort cooling reduced on campus

Comfort cooling is being reduced across several offices and other campus buildings in order to preserve the cooling capacity necessary for medical, research, data processing and other facilities “due to the unusually high current temperatures,” according to an AlertSU Community Alert sent early Monday evening.

An excessive heat warning lasting until 9 p.m. tonight and a heat advisory lasting from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. tomorrow have been issued to the area surrounding Stanford.  

Reduced comfort cooling is expected to last until at least Tuesday evening. Stanford uses a chilled water system to cool its buildings; due to the lasting heat wave, the chilled water within the Central Energy Facility must be “curtailed.”

The curtailment “is required to reduce load and restore chilled water storage to normal levels,” the AlertSU reads.

The duration of the measure remains unknown at present.

The author's profile picture
Claire Wang is The Daily's Vol. 254 magazine editor, and previously served as Vol. 253's managing editor of news. She's a fan of anything with tomatoes in it, and her favorite poet is Ocean Vuong. When she's not biking, her second-favorite mode of transportation is by rollerblade. Contact Claire at clwang32 'at' stanford.edu.