Grad student found dead in dorm room

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

The deceased student was identified as world-champion cyclist Kelly Catlin following publication of this article. Click here to read The Daily’s updated coverage.

An unnamed graduate student died on Thursday night, the University announced on Friday. The deceased master’s student in Computational and Mathematical Engineering was discovered in their on-campus residence by their roommate.

The cause of death remains unknown, but “there is no indication of foul play,” wrote Vice Provost for Student Affairs Susie Brubaker-Cole in an email announcement sent to the student community. She noted that the University is in the process of contacting the student’s family.

“It is wrenching to have to report this news to you, even more so following the deaths of other members of our community who have passed away recently,” Brubaker-Cole wrote. “Our thoughts and hearts are with the family and friends of the student who passed away last night.”

There will be a gathering hosted by the Office of Religious Life at 4 p.m. Friday in the Common Room of CIRCLE on Old Union’s third floor.

Brubaker-Cole’s email was sent shortly after Provost Persis Drell announced the death at a Town Hall event she held with University President Marc Tessier-Lavigne on Friday.

Drell’s announcement was followed by a moment of silence.

Support is available for students through Stanford’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at (650) 498-2336. The Graduate Life Office is available at (650) 736-7078, or 24/7 at (650) 723-8222, pager ID number 25085. The Bridge Peer Counseling Center offers counseling by trained students 24/7 at (650) 723-3392. The Faculty and Staff Help Center, located in Kingscote Gardens, offers confidential help for Stanford faculty and staff.

Contact Holden Foreman at hs4man21 ‘at’ stanford.edu

Holden Foreman

Holden Foreman

Holden Foreman '21 is The Daily's Executive Editor. He hails from the city of St. Louis, Missouri and is studying electrical engineering, computer science and economics. Contact him at hs4man21 'at' stanford.edu.