Stanford women’s and men’s tennis grab weekend home wins

Cardinal women breeze past No. 7 Vanderbilt, while the men rally from behind to take down the Golden Bears

Seniors Caroline Lampl (above) and Kimberly Yee continued their doubles dominance this past weekend, taking down Vanderbilt’s No. 36 Contreras/Smith (6-2). Lampl/Yee sit at No. 12 in the national women’s doubles rankings. (LYNDSAY RADNEDGE/isiphotos.com)

The Stanford women’s and men’s tennis teams each grabbed home wins this past weekend in dual match play at Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The No. 4 Stanford women’s tennis team crushed the No. 7 Vanderbilt Commodores 6-1 on Saturday afternoon in a rematch of the 2018 NCAA title game, and the No. 6 Stanford men’s tennis team came back from behind to take down the No. 40 California Golden Bears 4-2 after dropping the day’s first doubles match.

Last April, then-No. 15 Stanford upset then-No. 1 Vanderbilt in the national championship match 4-3 after getting wiped out by the Commodores 0-7 earlier in the season. The title was the team’s second in three years, and pushed forward a dominant 25-game win streak that lasted from a 3-4 loss to Florida on February 24, 2018 to a heartbreaking 3-4 defeat at the hands of the No. 5 Georgia Bulldogs on February 11, 2019.

Stanford’s top doubles duo of seniors Caroline Lampl and Kimberley Yee were first off the courts after taking down No. 36 Contreras/Smith (6-2); Lampl/Yee sit at No. 12 in the nation in women’s doubles, and improved their season record to 16-4.

The Cardinal then won four straight singles matches before the Commodores won their first; junior No. 19 Emily Arbuthnott provided the clincher with a three-set victory over No. 37 Amanda Meyer (6-1, 2-6, 6-1).

Stanford’s sole loss on the day came at the hands of No. 3 Fernanda Contreras, who took down Stanford sophomore No. 16 Michaela Gordon (7-6[6], 0-6, 1-0[12]). Gordon has run the gamut of top-ranked players this season; she was defeated by Georgia’s No. 1 Katarina Jokic (4-6, 6-1, 6-3) last weekend and North Carolina’s No. 5 Alexa Graham (0-6, 6-3, 3-6) back in October. Gordon, who hung tough in each of these matches, is currently 5-0 in conference play this season.

The men’s team also showed out in singles, winning four out of its five singles matches on Sunday afternoon. After Berkeley grabbed the 1-0 lead early as No. 13 Brumm/Kikuchi defeated Kumar/Sah (6-3), the Cardinal stormed back with three straight victories to grab the 3-1 advantage. Making up for his earlier loss in doubles, senior captain Sameer Kumar provided the clincher in singles with a takedown of freshman Yuta Kikuchi (6-2, 6-4).

The men’s team will head to La Jolla this Thursday for the Pacific Coast Doubles Championships. The women’s team will remain on campus, taking on the 5-2 Texas Longhorns next Saturday at noon.

Contact Shan Reddy at rsreddy ‘at’ stanford.edu.