The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Cooking fire in Escondido Village Studio 1 sets off sprinklers

At around 7:00 p.m. on Sunday night, some residents of Studio 1 at the Escondido Village residential complex were evacuated after a cooking fire contained to one apartment set off a sprinkler.

According Palo Alto Fire Department firefighter on the scene, the damage caused by the sprinkler is not threatening or hazardous.

A Studio 1 resident said that she and a group of other residents were not permitted to re-enter their complex for one hour and 20 minutes, and stayed at the nearby Community Graduate Center instead. At approximately 8:20 p.m., the alarms stopped ringing and students and visitors began to re-enter the complex, the resident said.

The Palo Alto Fire Department had no additional information to offer as of Monday evening.

Contact Yusra Arub at yusraarub19 ‘at’ mittymonarch.com

Yusra Arub is a high school senior writing for the University beat. She is interested in sociology and digital humanities. When she is not writing poetry or reading, she is baking for friends and family or playing soccer. Contact her at yusraarub19 ‘at’ mittymonarch.com.