Male graduate student found dead in engineering building

ADAM FAGEN / Flickr

Editor’s Note: This story contains references to suicide that may be troubling to some readers.

A male engineering graduate student and researcher was found dead in an Engineering Quad laboratory building on Monday morning.

The student died in the Paul G. Allen building. The building and next-door annex were closed this morning in response to discovery of the body, multiple sources confirmed. Five police cars arrived at the scene at approximately 10:00 a.m., according to a laboratory colleague who saw authorities investigating the deceased’s belongings.

There are no outstanding safety concerns pertaining to Stanford at this time, according to a statement issued to the engineering community by School of Engineering Dean Jennifer Widom.

The student’s family had not been notified as of Monday evening, according to the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner’s office. The Daily is withholding the identity of the individual, confirmed by a close colleague, for this reason.

The Santa Clara Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy to confirm the cause of death, said Stanford Public Safety spokesperson Bill Larson. The death is believed to be a suicide, according to multiple people who work in the laboratory and who are familiar with Monday’s events.

A graduate student familiar with the situation said that on Saturday, the deceased individual did not appear at a prior commitment he had made with a colleague.

It is unclear where in the laboratory the death occurred.

This story has been updated as new information and perspectives have come to light. This article has also been corrected to reflect that the death did not occur in the Stanford Nanofabrication Facility. The Daily regrets this error.

If you have thoughts of suicide or are concerned about the well-being of another, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or Stanford’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at (650) 498-2336.

Contact Courtney Douglas at ccdouglas ‘at’ stanford.edu, Julia Ingram at jmingram ‘at stanford.edu, Erin Woo at erinkwoo ‘at’ stanford.edu and Holden Foreman at hs4man21 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Courtney Douglas

Courtney Douglas

Courtney Douglas is a senior staff writer. She served as Editor in Chief of The Daily's 254th volume and has worked for the paper since the beginning of her freshman year. Outside The Daily, she studies English and political science and is an avid long-distance runner. Originally from Coronado, California, she is an alumna of The Bishop's School.

Erin Woo

Erin Woo

Erin Woo '21 is a Managing Editor for the News section. A native of Atlanta, GA, she is a communications major, a creative writing minor, and a staunch defender of the Oxford comma (despite her copy editor roots). Contact her at erinkwoo 'at' stanford.edu.

Holden Foreman

Holden Foreman

Holden Foreman '21 is a Desk Editor for the News section. He hails from the city of St. Louis, Missouri and is studying electrical engineering, computer science and economics. Contact him at hs4man21 'at' stanford.edu.

Julia Ingram

Julia Ingram

Julia Ingram ’21 is a Managing Editor for the News section. She is a New York City native interested in English literature, psychology, gymnastics and all things cat related. Contact her at jmingram ‘at’ stanford.edu.