Following fire hydrant break, water floods Santa Teresa

A broken fire hydrant at the intersection of Lomita Mall and Santa Teresa Street propelled a wave of water into the air early Thursday afternoon. The water then flooded eastward down Santa Teresa, and through Duena Street toward Panama Mall.

Police, Palo Alto Fire Department authorities and Stanford Land, Buildings and Real Estate (LBRE) officials arrived on the scene. According to University spokesperson E.J. Miranda, LBRE shut off the water after about 20 minutes, and subsequently began repairs.

“Approximately 100,000 gallons of water was released before the hydrant was shut off,” Miranda wrote in a statement to The Daily.

According to Palo Alto Fire Department Captain Barry Marchisio, a large truck — which was still parked on the scene as authorities addressed the situation— hit the fire hydrant, causing the break.

Marchisio clarified that all the water that flooded from the hydrant was fresh, and that it will drain naturally and without contamination. Miranda confirmed that on-campus water services j

Meanwhile, a swarm of onlookers gathered near the break to take photos of the erupting water.

This article has been updated with comment from E.J. Miranda. 

Contact Courtney Douglas at ccdouglas ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Courtney Douglas is a senior staff writer. She served as Editor in Chief of The Daily's 254th volume and has worked for the paper since the beginning of her freshman year. Outside The Daily, she studies English and political science and is an avid long-distance runner. Originally from Coronado, California, she is an alumna of The Bishop's School.