The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Following fire hydrant break, water floods Santa Teresa

A broken fire hydrant at the intersection of Lomita Mall and Santa Teresa Street propelled a wave of water into the air early Thursday afternoon. The water then flooded eastward down Santa Teresa, and through Duena Street toward Panama Mall.

Police, Palo Alto Fire Department authorities and Stanford Land, Buildings and Real Estate (LBRE) officials arrived on the scene. According to University spokesperson E.J. Miranda, LBRE shut off the water after about 20 minutes, and subsequently began repairs.

“Approximately 100,000 gallons of water was released before the hydrant was shut off,” Miranda wrote in a statement to The Daily.

According to Palo Alto Fire Department Captain Barry Marchisio, a large truck — which was still parked on the scene as authorities addressed the situation— hit the fire hydrant, causing the break.

Marchisio clarified that all the water that flooded from the hydrant was fresh, and that it will drain naturally and without contamination. Miranda confirmed that on-campus water services j

Meanwhile, a swarm of onlookers gathered near the break to take photos of the erupting water.

This article has been updated with comment from E.J. Miranda. 

Contact Courtney Douglas at ccdouglas ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Courtney Douglas studies English, Political Science, and Ethics in Society at Stanford. A proud member of the Class of 2020, she served as Editor-in-Chief of The Daily's 254th volume. Her favorite poem is "To Be of Use" by Marge Piercy, she has a tattoo on her left ankle, and she wants to be a press lawyer. Her favorite journalists are Hannah Knowles and Alexa Philippou. Send her recommendations for leave-in conditioner and gravesites of relevant literary figures at ccdouglas 'at' stanford.edu.