New details emerge about 2018-2019 Sigma Chi housing change

(CATALINA RAMIREZ-SAENZ/The Stanford Daily)

New details have emerged about Sigma Chi’s housing situation next year.

The house, The Daily reported on Thursday, will become a tier-three residence open to non-fraternity members for the 2018-2019 school year.

Though originally advertised as a “co-op,” the house will operate as a “self-op,” and will retain its chef next year.

This change follows the end of a Sigma Chi Internationals investigation that precluded the chapter from recruiting a spring 2018 pledge class, leaving the fraternity unable to fill their house with Sigma Chi members.

A private Facebook event with nearly 400 student invitees advertised an “open house” hosted Friday evening for non-affiliated students interested in living in the residence.

According to the event page, students can enter the University draw as usual, and, if accepted as a boarder in the house, can later drop their University housing assignment without a cancellation fee.

The preliminary form students could submit to express interest in the house was due over the weekend.

A flyer posted in group said that while rent — collected by the Alpha Omega Housing Corporation, which owns the Sigma Chi house — has not been finalized, it has been “historically lower” compared to University housing.

A member of the fraternity listed as a host of the Facebook event did not respond to The Daily’s request for comment.

Contact Alexa Philippou at aphil723 ‘at’ stanford.edu.