Field hockey streak snapped against Ohio State

Playing for its eighth win in a row on Saturday afternoon, No. 11 Stanford field hockey (7-3, 4-0 America East) couldn’t hold onto a second-half lead, falling in overtime by a score of 3-2 to Ohio State (5-5, 0-3 Big Ten) in Davis, California. The match marked the seventh one-goal decision of the season for the Cardinal and was the team’s first loss since an Aug. 26 game against then-No. 14 Northwestern.

The teams traded goals throughout the game, with Stanford taking the first lead. In the 14th minute, freshman defender Sarah Johnson capitalized on a penalty corner rebound to claim her second goal of the year. Soon after, the Buckeyes came back on a corner of their own, one-timing a shot past sophomore goalkeeper Kelsey Bing.

Ohio State pressured Bing and the Cardinal defense in the second half, taking 10 shots on goal. The Buckeyes would outshoot Stanford 16-7 over the course of the game. Still, backed by strong goaltending, the Cardinal took a one-goal lead once again in the 55th minute. A cross from the left side by fifth-year senior attacker Kristina Bassi found freshman attacker Corinne Zanolli, who put in a diving shot for her team-leading eighth goal of the season.

Stanford managed to hold the lead for five minutes before the constant pressure from the Buckeye offense broke through. On one of the Buckeyes’ 10 penalty corners of the game, Ohio State’s Lauren Carroll collected a rebound and put in the equalizer to send the game to overtime.

Fewer than two minutes into overtime, a shot from the right side from Ohio State midfielder Casey Cole bounced over Bing to give the Buckeyes their first lead of the night and the victory. Stanford is now 2-1 in overtime matches.

After going 7-1 in September, the Cardinal will have a week of practice before traveling to Ann Arbor, Michigan to take on Rutgers and Michigan on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. Saturday’s match will begin at 1 p.m., and Sunday’s game will start at 11 a.m.

Contact Laura Anderson at lauraand ‘at’ stanford.edu.