Dwight Powell ’14 signs four-year extension with Dallas Mavericks

Power forward Dwight Powell '14 (left) has secured a four-year contract extension from the Dallas Mavericks worth $37 million. (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Former Stanford basketball standout Dwight Powell ’14 signed a four-year deal worth $37 million on Sunday to return to the Dallas Mavericks, according to several reports. The power forward, previously a restricted free agent, will return to a Mavericks team that has been active in the offseason, re-signing Dirk Nowitzki and Deron Williams and acquiring Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut from the Golden State Warriors.

Powell played four years at Stanford, averaging 14.0 points and 6.9 rebounds per game in his senior year.  The five-star high school recruit received first-team All-Pac-12 honors twice in his career. Powell earned his degree in science, technology and society and was named the Pac-12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year in his senior year.

Powell was also part of the 2013-14 Stanford team that advanced to the Sweet Sixteen after upsetting the Kansas Jayhawks. The Toronto native ranks in the top 15 at Stanford in career points, rebounds, blocks and steals.

After being selected with the 45th pick in the 2014 NBA draft, Powell signed a deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers that summer but was later traded to the Boston Celtics. After seeing little playing time during his first season in Boston, Powell was traded to the Mavericks as a part of the blockbuster trade that moved Rajon Rondo from the Celtics to the Mavericks. Last season, he averaged 5.8 points and 4.0 rebounds — both career highs — in just over 14 minutes for the Mavs.

At 6-foot-11, 240 pounds, Powell has shown promise as a spirited rebounder and an athletic finisher off of the pick-and-roll.  While possessing a versatile skill set, he must improve his defense and develop an outside jump shot to become a more all-around player. The Mavericks have locked Powell up as a part of their future plans as Dallas prepares for the impending retirement of its franchise player and power forward Dirk Nowitzki.

Contact Matthew Oh at mattoh ‘at’ stanforddaily.com.