Stanford with highest crime per student rate in California

Stanford has the highest rate of reported crimes per student out of California university campuses, according to data from the U.S. Department of Education.

There were 404 allegations reported to campus officials at Stanford between 2012 and 2014, or about 7.94 crimes annually per 1,000 students, according to the report.

Stanford University spokesman Brad Hayward told the San Jose Mercury News that crime statistics are higher at Stanford because most students and some faculty live on campus.

Stanford promotes reporting sexual offenses to the police, he said, and the university publishes its crime statistics online. There were 30 reported sex offenses in 2014 and 26 in 2013, according to Stanford’s statistics.

“Crimes that typically occur in residential settings are reflected in our on-campus crime statistics,” Hayward said. “The university and its police force are committed to providing a campus environment in which all members of our community feel safe and secure.”

Many of the reported crimes are burglary, Hayward said. He cited a few vehicle theft incidents, mainly for golf carts used to travel around campus.

UC Berkeley ranks second in highest reported crime rate, with a rate of 3.29 crimes per 1,000 each year, the report said.

UC Berkeley spokesman Dan Mogulof said that crime at Berkeley comes from the urban location, where “crime remains a challenge.”

According to Mogulof, Berkeley is implementing successful crime-reduction strategies by providing human and financial resources, resulting in a 23 percent reduction in major crimes since 2014.

UC Santa Cruz and UCLA are tied for the third-highest reported crime rate, at 2.84 annually per 1,000 students, according to the report.

Across all accounted California college campuses, burglary was the most common type of crime reported, followed by vehicle theft and assault and sex crimes, according to the report.

The department collected the data under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The law counts allegations reported to university coaches, faculty members, resident advisors and members of the dean of students’ office instead of police. The information was compiled by 1point21 Interactive, a Southern California data-visualization firm.

Contact Gillian Brassil at gbrassil ‘at’ stanford.edu.

• rick131

Stanford’s crime rate is the highest in the nation among all the elite colleges.

• Puma_01

I’m EXTREMELY disappointed that the Daily would fall into the same trap that other media organizations did in covering this story. Stanford has nowhere near the highest crime rate per student in California.

The compilation showed that Stanford had 7.94 crimes annually per 1,000 students. But it also showed that California Institute of Technology was 10.41 and Pomona College was 21.81. Heck, lovely Claremont McKenna came in at 25.43 (more than THREE TIMES Stanford’s rate)!

The criminal defense attorney who published this compilation (no more than a blog post intended to draw hits to his website), intentionally manipulated the data so that Stanford and Cal would look like they had the highest crime rates. He did this by creating a category of schools with enrollment above 10,000 (of which there are a relative few in California) so that Stanford and Cal would come out on top.

There are other ways that they manipulated the data too – such as defining the crime rate based on the number of students. Commuter schools are naturally going to be lower because there is less opportunity for crime with no residences involved. Schools that have a lot of students living within the campus boundaries are, of course, going to be higher. Stanford, with its 8,000 acre campus and a sizable residential community within the campus boundary filled with people who ARE NOT STUDENTS will, of course be higher still because you are including crimes that don’t involve students in any way. I imagine the fact that all of Stanford’s major sporting and concert venues (as well as a major regional hospital) are within the campus boundaries makes a difference too. (Pop quiz – if you inflate the numerator of a fraction but leave the denominator the same, what happens?)

The attorney’s compilation also makes no effort to weight or categorize anything. Under this ratio analysis, a report of someone stealing a bike on the Stanford campus (even a mistaken one) will count, but the recent murders of USC and UCLA students just off their campuses won’t. For parents and students, being forced to live off campus in a high crime neighborhood is a much bigger issue than a stolen bike (a crime of opportunity because the bikes are reasonably valuable and are left unattended outside each night).

I welcome a thorough and genuine analysis of crime involving Stanford students. There is always more that can be done to improve things. But your headline wrongly suggests that Stanford is the most unsafe college for students to attend in the state. That simply is not the case.

• skullbreathe

Trigger Warnings + Micro-Aggressions = False Crime Stats

• Michael Williams

Crime rates are for the Authories to talk about to the media ? Whether the crime rate is high or low what does it matter to an unarmed citizen ? Some colleges are allowing students who have been trained in Firearms and the laws thereof to able to protect themselves ?