Few things are better or more comforting than warm banana bread on a cold and blustery morning. Except for when that banana bread has chocolate, and a lot of it. And when you add dried figs into the mix, you’ve really found the perfect combination.
Who wouldn’t want to munch on a mini loaf of healthy banana bread for breakfast, or for a nutritious snack? Since we’re trying to keep that New Year health kick on a roll, this recipe is refined sugar-free, vegan, and made whole grains. Loaded with antioxidant-rich dark chocolate and sweet dried figs, this banana bread is a perfect healthy treat to whip up and enjoy with your coffee on a chilly rainy day.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 17-19 minutes
Serves: 8 mini loaves
2 cups spelt flour
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 big mashed bananas
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup maple syrup (honey works well too!)
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (more is fine if you’re crazy about chocolate, like me)
1/3 cup chopped dried figs
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Add the spelt flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon to the wet ingredients, and mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Fold the dark chocolate chips and chopped dried figs into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly into a mini loaf pan of 8 loves.
- Bake the bread for 17-19 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Enjoy, especially with a cup of coffee or tea!