Instant recap: No. 6 Stanford blows out No. 5 Iowa to capture 2nd Rose Bowl title in 4 years

No spot in the College Football Playoff? No Heisman for Christian McCaffrey? No problem.

After almost a month of rest, the No. 6 Stanford Cardinal (12-2) played their best football of the season in the 102nd Rose Bowl Game, dominating the No. 5 Iowa Hawkeyes (12-2) by a score of 45-16. The win marks Stanford’s second Rose Bowl win in four years after beating Wisconsin in 2013.

For McCaffrey, it was the marquee performance of a once-in-a lifetime season. The human highlight reel tallied 368 all-purpose yards, with 2 touchdowns of 75 yards and 63 yards each, the latter off a punt return, the first time this season he ran it back into the end zone off a punt. The Hawkeyes defense had no solution for the solution running back, who took a pass from Kevin Hogan for a touchdown on the first play from scrimmage.

Quarterback Kevin Hogan ended his Stanford career with a victory in his third Rose Bowl start, completing 12-of-21 passes for 223 yards and 3 touchdowns and rushing for another touchdown. It was a true display of brilliance from the Pac-12’s best offense on all fronts.

Defensively, the Cardinal made it tough for Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard and company. The Stanford defense recorded 7 sacks and stopped the potent Hawkeyes running attack to just 48 yards.

It was a storybook end to the season for David Shaw’s team, a perfect send-off for the Cardinal’s senior class and yet another chapter in the tale of the Stanford football powerhouse.

This post will be updated.

Contact Sandip Srinivas at sandips ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sandip Srinivas '18 is the Football Editor, a sports desk editor and a beat writer for men's basketball and football at The Stanford Daily. Sandip is a sophomore from Belmont, California that roots for the San Francisco Giants during even years and roots for Steph Curry year-round. He is majoring in Symbolic Systems and can be contacted via email at sandips 'at' stanford.edu.