Senior sit down: Graham Shuler

In the next installment of the 2015-16 “Senior Sit Down” series and ahead of Stanford football’s senior night against Notre Dame, The Daily’s Vihan Lakshman chatted with center Graham Shuler, a favorite amongst fans, teammates and media members alike.

The Stanford Daily (TSD): Can you believe that you’re actually a senior?

Graham Shuler (GS): It’s wild. I was sitting with Ronnie Harris at dinner last night talking about it. Just how fast our time here has gone. You look around in the locker room with a bunch of 18- and 19-year-olds and you feel like the old guy. I’ve cherished and loved my time here and I’m just blown away that we’re in Week 12 of the season.

TSD: Do you see yourself in any of the younger guys on the team?

GS: There’s a few of them…I love Daniel Marx. He started growing his hair out kind of long in line with me. He’s like a little brother. That’s how this place works. You take guys under your wing. Ben Gardner did it to me when I was a freshman. He and Sam Schwartzstein looked out for me. It’s a really cool pay-it-forward kind of program.

TSD: Are you planning on keeping the hair?

GS: I don’t know, man. I’m pretty attached to it. I think it’s going to be tough to get rid of it, but at some point I’ll probably have to be a little more professional.

TSD: You came in with an offensive line recruiting class that was considered the best in school history. How does it feel to be out there on the field and leading the offense?

GS: With Josh [Garnett] being a finalist for this Outland Trophy, it’s really exciting and a really cool testament to this group and what we’ve done. I’m honored to be called the ship driver of this group and I’m proud to be called Kev [Hogan’s] first mate in whatever we embark on. It’s an awesome time with those guys. I can’t say enough about them.

TSD: It seems that every time someone in the media needs a quote about a player on this team, they come to you. How are you everybody’s best friend in the locker room?

GS: I don’t know. I talk a lot I guess. I’m personable. I care about these guys and I’ve felt them care about me. It’s a close-knit brotherhood and I guess that’s it.

TSD: What was the adjustment like coming over to Stanford from Nashville, Tennessee?

GS: [laughing] I went home the first time and couldn’t even describe to people what it was like. Stanford was so different when I visited. I was walking around with my dad and I was like, “I can go here? I can go to this place?”

I tell people all people all the time I left the country and went to a different country, and it really is. It’s so wildly different: the food, the culture, the weather, I could go on and on.

TSD: What are your favorite memories of growing up in Nashville?

GS: I was just really lucky. Growing up the son of a musician and going to The Bluebird Café and doing all of those things was really cool. I was lucky to grow up in such a beautiful place. Tim McGraw yelling and cussing at me at football games…You just don’t get that any other place.

TSD: There are quite a few people on the football team from the South. Do you share any special bond with them?

GS: I kind of started this thing when I got here called the “So-Bros,” the Southern Boys, and we all had to stick together. Jordan Watkins and I originated that. There’s a lot of guys on this team from the South. [Virginia native Kevin Hogan] is a pseudo So-Bro.

It’s a totally different culture…It’s nice to have people who understand different types of barbecue and appreciate country music so it’s cool to surround yourself with some of those people.

TSD: What would you do if it weren’t for football?

GS: If it wasn’t for football, I’d probably be doing music and, if it wasn’t for music, I’m not sure what I’d be doing. I’d probably be doing what a lot of other seniors are doing right now: trying to figure out what career they’re going to embark on. I love entertainment and media kind of stuff and that’s the direction I feel pulled in — something in that world.

Contact Vihan Lakshman at vihan ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Vihan Lakshman's journey at The Stanford Daily came full-circle as he began his career as a football beat writer and now closes his time on The Farm in the same role. In between, he has served as an Opinions columnist and desk editor, a beat writer for Stanford baseball, and as a member of The Daily's Editorial Board. Vihan completed his undergraduate degree in Mathematical and Computational Science in 2016, and is currently pursuing a master's in Computational Mathematics. He also worked as a color commentator on KZSU football broadcasts during the 2015 season. To contact him, please send an email to vihan 'at' stanford.edu