We need your help: All banner donations made today will support The Daily's new staff financial aid program.
Learn more and donate.

Instant recap: McCaffrey sets Stanford rushing record as Cardinal obliterate UCLA

Christian McCaffrey broke the Stanford single-game record for rushing yards, Francis Owusu made one of the most impressive catches in recent memory and the Cardinal put up 56 points against a top-20 team in the nation. It was just another week for the Pac-12’s leading offense and outright leaders of the Pac-12 North.

No. 15 Stanford (5-1, 4-0 Pac-12) dominated No. 18 UCLA (4-2, 1-2) by a margin of 56-35, stretching its win streak to five and securing its eighth consecutive win against the Bruins.

While production was tremendous all across the board, the story of the night was McCaffrey, whose 243 rushing yards and 4 touchdowns put him in the Stanford record books and the nationwide Heisman conversation. McCaffrey ended the game with 369 all-purpose yards, the FBS single-game high for this year that once again gave him the nationwide lead in the category.

However, it didn’t stop with the ground attack. Kevin Hogan had 3 touchdown passes on just 15 attempts, the Stanford defense held UCLA to 3-of-16 on third down attempts and sophomore cornerback Alijah Holder returned an interception on the Bruins’ first drive for Stanford’s first touchdown of the night.

Looking ahead, the Cardinal will again put its undefeated conference record on the line as it hosts Washington on Oct. 24.

This post will be updated.

The author's profile picture
Sandip Srinivas '18 is the Football Editor, a sports desk editor and a beat writer for men's basketball and football at The Stanford Daily. Sandip is a sophomore from Belmont, California that roots for the San Francisco Giants during even years and roots for Steph Curry year-round. He is majoring in Symbolic Systems and can be contacted via email at sandips 'at' stanford.edu.