Stanford alumnus William Frye M.S. ’69 dies at age 83

On Aug. 24, Stanford alumnus William Frye M.S. ’69 died due to prostate cancer. Born on Dec. 29, 1931 in Big Falls, Minnesota, Frye passed away at the age of 83.

Frye received his B.S. in mathematics from the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities and went on to work at the Naval Electronics Laboratory in San Diego. Frye then studied Operations Research at Stanford.

After graduating with his master’s from Stanford, Frye worked at SRI International and contributed directly to its Antiballistic Missile systems, particularly in the area of “Tapering Preferential Defense” models. While working at SRI, he was also acknowledged in a Technical Note Memorandum within the company for his work in anti ballistic game theory.

During the later years of his career, Frye worked at Lockheed Martin as an engineer. His final contribution to the industry was to draft the Software Configuration Management for the Hubble Space Telescope.

Frye is survived by his three children, Barbara, Brenda and Wendy, as well as his two siblings, Vern Frye and Vonnie Pacheco.

Contact Kylie Jue at kyliej ‘at’ stanford.edu.