Thomas Gilligan, business school dean at University of Texas, named next director of Hoover Institution

According to the Stanford Report, Thomas Gilligan, dean of the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin, will be the next director of the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace.

The Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace at Stanford University is a public policy research center devoted to the advanced study of economics, politics, history and political economy as well as international affairs.

Gilligan will assume his post as the Tad Taube Director of the Hoover Institution on Sept. 1, succeeding John Raisian, who is leaving his post after more than 25 years as director of the public policy research center.

From 1989 to 1990, Gilligan, a scholar of economics and political science, was a National Fellow at the Hoover Institution and taught economics as a visiting faculty member at the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB). He also held a visiting faculty member position at the GSB in 1994. According to the Report, Gilligan looks forward to returning to Stanford.

“The Hoover Institution is one of the world’s premier research centers devoted to the advanced study of politics, economics and international affairs,” Gilligan said. “I am honored to be named as Hoover’s next director and look forward to advancing its mission and reputation.”

Since 2008, Gilligan has served as dean of the McCombs School and, prior to that appointment, he held several key administrative roles between 1987 and 2008 at the Marshall School of Business at the University of Southern California. Prior to that, he taught economics at the California Institute of Technology for three years.

Gilligan’s academic research has focused on microeconomics, applied price theory, industrial organization, antitrust economics and public choice. He received his B.A. in 1979 at the University of Oklahoma and his Ph.D. in economics in 1984 at Washington University.

Contact Josee Smith at jsmith11 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

In a previous version of this article, we put the incorrect date for Gilligan’s time as a National Fellow at the Hoover Institution. He was there from 1989 to 1990, not 1980. The Daily regrets this error. 

Josee Smith is a senior this year, majoring in anthropology with a minor in Spanish. She is the desk editor for the student groups beat and has spent her last 3 years at The Daily as both a staff writer and contributing writer. Originally from Washington State, Josee came to California for the warm weather and stayed for the awesome reporting. To contact her, please email jsmith11 'a' stanford.edu.