Obama will come to Stanford for Friday’s cybersecurity summit

President Barack Obama will come to Stanford on Feb. 13 to address the White House Summit on Cyber Security and Consumer Protection, University spokeswoman Lisa Lapin told The Daily on Saturday.

President Barack Obama will come to Stanford for Friday's White House Summit on Cyber Security and Consumer Protection. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Barack Obama will come to Stanford for Friday’s White House Summit on Cyber Security and Consumer Protection. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

According to Lapin, the last time a sitting U.S. president came to Stanford for business was in 1975, when Gerald Ford dedicated a new law school building.

Friday’s event is closed to the public, but Lapin expects that there will be a lottery for Stanford students who would like tickets to the summit. Details will be made available within a couple of days.

Cybersecurity has become a growing priority for the Obama Administration. In October he launched the BuySecure initiative, which includes reforms such as securing payment systems and preventing identity theft. Obama also spoke about cybersecurity in his State of the Union address on Jan. 20.

“No foreign nation, no hacker, should be able to shut down our networks, steal our trade secrets, or invade the privacy of American families, especially our kids,” he said in the address.

The White House Summit, which was announced on Jan. 13, will include senior federal government officials, CEOs from various industries, law enforcement officials, consumer advocates and Stanford faculty members and students who are researching cybersecurity issues. According to the summit’s official website, panels at the event will discuss issues such as public-private collaboration on cybersecurity and secure payment technologies.

Stanford founded its Cyber Initiative last November, with the help of a $15 million grant from the Hewlett Foundation.

“Our increasing reliance on technology, combined with the unpredictable vulnerabilities of networked information, pose future challenges for all of society,” University President John Hennessy told Stanford News at the time.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
  • Hypocrite

LOL emphasis on the word “foreign.” Our government can hack our computers and invade our privacy whenever they feel like it.

• vonrock

At $ 228,000 an hour, this guy spends tens of millions a week, wouldn’t hiring some experts to handle this be a better choice. doesn’t he have a internet czar ?

• Skeptical

A summit of senior government officials and CEOs none of which understand information security or technology in general. What could possibly go wrong?

• Derwood Kirby

To direct the cyber-security program, just get the same guy who covered up Oblama’s college records, law license dissolution and passports–they’ve never been found.

• Jerry

Is there ever a time when this shameless liar doesn’t mention “american families” or “the children”?

• Mika Mq

“No foreign nation, no hacker, should be able to shut down our
    networks, steal our trade secrets, or invade the privacy of American
    families, especially our kids,”.

Oh ya, except the American Government. Gotta protect the capitalistic rape system of the American people lest the children go hungry. Oh they are hungry. Let them eat sugar.

• Derwood Kirby

So is his better half finally proud of her country?

• Quote

…and Stanford faculty members and students who are researching cybersecurity issues.

• luft der freiheit

Any word on the lottery for students? It’d be nice if this publication could make such information available _before_ the event has happened…

• Guest

Does anyone know what time he will be there on Friday ? I work at the campus and am dreading the traffic