Letter from the editor: The Daily’s summer schedule

Opinion by Edward Ngai

Last week, members of the Stanford Class of 2013 Wacky Walked their way to the exciting challenges and opportunities that await them beyond the bubble. This week, the Daily team begins our summer volume, ready to take on the challenges of the new school year.

Much is changing this summer as we develop exciting new products for the Stanford Daily Publishing Corporation. First amongst these changes is the cessation of printing The Daily summer weekly edition. We will, of course, continue to publish content on our website, stanforddaily.com, with regular print production resuming at the beginning of fall quarter.

Members of the Stanford community know well the frenetic pace of life on the Farm — a pace that continues over the summer. Students and alumni are busy undertaking ambitious projects: in entrepreneurship, athletics, research and much more. Over here at The Daily, we’re also doing exciting work — everything from redesigning the look and feel of our website to restructuring our paradigm for staff development. Of particular note is a book documenting the rise of Stanford football, “Rags to Roses,” written by Daily editors Joseph Beyda, George Chen and Sam Fisher. Check out the book’s announcement and weekly excerpts here.

The Stanford Daily is simultaneously a newsroom and business, but most importantly it is a classroom. We’re so privileged to be learning by experience and contributing to this awesome industry. This summer and beyond, The Daily will continue to push the limits of what a college media company can be.

The summer volume will continue to be led by current Daily staffers and a group of talented high school interns working on a diverse set of initiatives. If you are interested in being a part of the summer staff, please contact summer managing editor Marshall Watkins at [email protected].

As always, your input is critical to our growth. Questions, comments, suggestions and criticisms are always welcome at the Daily office behind Old Union or over email at [email protected] or [email protected]. We also welcome news tips at [email protected].

If you don’t already, follow The Daily on Facebook and Twitter @Stanford_Daily and sign up for The Daily email digest to stay up to date with Stanford news 24/7. If you’d like to reach our advertising and business team, drop by The Daily at 456 Panama Mall Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. The team can also be reached by email at [email protected] or by phone at (650) 721-5803.

Finally, I’d like to thank the tireless staff at The Daily and thank you for reading. It deeply humbles me to be a part of such an incredible institution.

Edward Ngai

President and editor in chief, Vol. CCXLIV

Edward Ngai is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily. Previously, he has worked as a news desk editor, staff development editor and columnist. He was president and editor-in-chief of The Daily for Vol. 244 (2013-2014). Edward is a junior from Vancouver, Canada studying political science. This summer, he is the Daniel Pearl Memorial Intern at the Wall Street Journal.