Softball’s midweek struggles continue in loss to UC-Davis

After playing nearly flawless softball to sweep Utah over the weekend, No. 16 Stanford (32-17, 9-9 Pac-12) was unable to maintain its momentum, dropping its third straight non-conference game on Wednesday evening to UC-Davis (22-24, 8-10 Big West).

Senior Teagan Gerhart (above) fell to 18-9 on the season in the Card's surprising loss to UC-Davis on Wednesday night. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)
Senior Teagan Gerhart (above) fell to 18-9 on the season in the Card’s surprising loss to UC-Davis on Wednesday night. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

In a game that could have important postseason ramifications for the Cardinal as it seeks to host a regional in the NCAA Tournament, Stanford failed to close out the Aggies. The Card yielded three runs after taking a 4-2 lead into the bottom of the seventh inning to fall 5-4 in walk-off fashion.

Kayla Bonstrom had a strong day at the plate for the Cardinal, going 3-for-4 while driving in two RBI. The freshman gave Stanford a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning with a single down the right-field line. Bonstrom subsequently plated a seemingly decisive run in the top of the seventh when she sent a 3-1 pitch into centerfield for a big RBI single, giving the Card a two-run lead.

Teagan Gerhart took the loss in the circle for Stanford, falling to 18-9 on the season. Although Gerhart managed to go the distance for the Cardinal, she gave up five earned runs on seven hits.

Stanford will next travel to Berkeley for a weekend series against its rival, No. 13 California (35-12, 9-9 Pac-12). First pitch Friday is scheduled for 3 p.m.

David Cohn

David Cohn

David Cohn '15 is currently a Sports Desk Editor. He began his tenure at the Daily by serving as a senior staff writer for Stanford football and softball, and then rose to the position of assistant editor of staff development. He served as the Summer Managing Editor of Sports in 2014. David is a Biology major from Poway, California. In addition to his duties at the Daily, he serves as the lead play-by-play football and softball announcer for KZSU Live Stanford Radio 90.1 FM.