The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

No. 42 men’s tennis drops regular season finale to Cal

The No. 42 Stanford men’s tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss at home to No. 18 Cal this Saturday in the final match of the regular season.

The match marked an improvement for the Cardinal (11-10, 3-4 Pac-12) from its performance against the Golden Bears (13-8, 5-1 Pac-12) on the road earlier this season, where the team dropped a 5-2 decision in a non-conference match.

Freshman Maciek Romanowicz (above)
Freshman Maciek Romanowicz (above) split his doubles and singles matches as Stanford fell to Cal 4-3 to close the regular season. (AVI BAGLA/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford started strong at doubles, winning all three matches and taking the doubles point. The No. 2 doubles team of freshman Maciek Romanowicz and sophomore Robert Stineman led the way with an 8-6.

At No. 1 singles, Morrissey fell 6-2, 6-4 to Berkeley’s Ben McLachlan, who is ranked 37th in the nation. Morrissey’s loss was followed by a victory at No. 6 singles from freshman Trey Strobel, who defeated Wyatt Houghton 6-2, 6-4.

Freshman Nolan Paige fell to Konigsfeldt 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 singles to bring the score to 2-2.

The last three singles matches were all close, with Romanowicz losing to 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 to Johnson and Stineman falling 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 to Bayane at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively. These two losses clinched the match for Berkeley.

The Cardinal finished the match with a victory at No. 5 singles from Ho, who defeated Mads Engsted 2-6, 7-6, 6-3.

Saturday also marked the Cardinal’s senior night, with a ceremony for seniors Sam Ecker, Matt Kandath, Lin and Walker Kehrer before the start of the singles matches.

The team will travel to Ojai, Calif., this week for the Pac-12 Championships, which begin on Tuesday.