Letter to the editor: A response to the Editorial Board

We were disappointed to read the editorial “When the wind of freedom falters,” published on September 27, 2012. To be clear, we welcome varied opinions, open discourse, and disagreement; the editorial, however, contained inaccurate information. In particular, it misrepresented the responsibilities of Residential and Dining Enterprises (R&DE) and Residential Education (ResEd).

R&DE on behalf of the University, provides leadership, administrative and fiscal oversight for assigning and housing both graduate and undergraduate students, residential dining programs, and other auxiliary enterprises. These other auxiliary enterprises, which help to reduce student room and board rates, include: R&DE retail cafes, athletic concessions, guest house lodging, catering and executive services, campus vending, and on-campus meeting planning and conference programs. R&DE provides these services with a special emphasis on life safety and security, asset renewal, building maintenance and stewardship, capital renovations and improvements, sustainability, and nutrition and wellness education. R&DE also provides resources that support the living and learning infrastructure and residential programs.

ResEd, part of the Student Affairs division, works with resident fellows, student and professional staff, student crises, residential and University policies and residential programs. The student management programs in Row houses, Row and Suites kitchens, and Row board plans are facilitated by Residential Education. Additionally, alcohol education and policy are under the purview of Student Affairs and ResEd, not R&DE.

Student initiative, creativity and expression are hallmarks of the Stanford undergraduate experience, as is holding ourselves to the highest standard. We are committed to providing diverse and dynamic living and learning environments, which are integral to the student experience and we take our roles as stewards of student life on this campus very seriously.

Greg Boardman
Vice Provost for Student Affairs

Shirley Everett
Senior Associate Vice Provost for Residential & Dining Enterprises

To see a Letter from the editor about this issue, click here.