Editorial: Five things every ProFro should know

Opinion by Editorial Board

Welcome, ProFros! We hope that Admit Weekend gives you some idea of the incredible opportunities available here at Stanford. Whether you’re a budding public servant, student-athlete, entrepreneur, artist, scientist, a combination of the above, or something else entirely, you’ll find a home here at the Farm (that especially includes those of you who are resolutely undecided). However, we’d like to share some important perspective to keep in mind over the course of this weekend. Below are five things we wish we knew as ProFros:

1.  The people you meet at Admit Weekend will most likely not be your best friends at Stanford – and that’s OK. Some Stanford students remain close with the people they meet at Admit Weekend, but they’re frankly in the minority. So don’t fret if you don’t make a lifelong friendship during the three days you spend here. That said, there’s nothing wrong with engaging in conversations that go beyond the typical “name/hometown/prospective major/excitement about Stanford” cycle.

2. Check out community centers, regardless of your background. Events at community centers can open your eyes to new perspectives, critical frameworks and friendships, and they offer some of the richest programming that Stanford has to offer. This week alone various community centers hosted a lunch on women in the 2012 elections, a discussion with Jewish political theorist Michael Walzer and a lecture by activist Angela Davis. Moreover, the exchange of ideas and experiences that community centers promote is fundamental to the spirit of educational inquiry.

3. Despite appearances, Stanford is a richly intellectual place. During Admit Weekend, it’s easy to get caught up in the beautiful weather, wealth of opportunities and laid-back culture. Don’t get us wrong – Stanford students know how to have fun, but we also know that we are here in large part because we like to learn. Every Frisbee-throwing, bro tank-wearing, fountain-hopping student you see has spent hours poring over a reading list in Green Library or struggling with a bug in a computer program. Academic learning doesn’t solely come from classes, either. Your future classmates will forever surprise you with what they are passionate about, and speaker events or debates are a great way to round out your learning in a non-classroom setting.

4. Admit Weekend is an introduction, not a representation. If you feel overwhelmed by the relentless energy and packed schedule, don’t worry. To get a more accurate picture of campus, skip some of the programming and walk around campus. Your life at Stanford may be structured around classes and activities, but what’s infinitely more important are the chance run-ins, late night discussions in dorm hallways and spontaneous journeys that you will embark upon as a student here. Our hope is that you seek out those experiences during your short introductory stay this weekend.

5. Finally, the decision on whether to come to Stanford is yours and yours alone. No matter the enthusiasm of your RoHo, HoHos, and fellow ProFros, you’re allowed to have doubts and questions about life at Stanford. Your admission is an enormous accomplishment, and you have a great deal to be proud of. We hope you come to Stanford, but if and when you make that decision, do so because it’s what you want, not because it’s what you think you should want.

We hope you have had a great experience so far, and we wish you the best of luck at whatever school you end up attending.