W. Volleyball: Williams, Wopat lead Stanford athletes earning All-Pac-12 Honors

The sophomore duo of Rachel Williams and Carly Wopat led a list of four Stanford women’s volleyball players named to the 14-player All-Pac-12 Conference Team on Tuesday. Williams was fifth in the Pac-12 in kills per set and points per set, as well as leading the conference with 19 double-doubles, including a remarkable 24-kill and 22-dig game against Duke in the Stanford Invitational.

Wopat made a big step up this season at the middle blocker position, leading the conference in blocks per set with 1.59, good enough to rank third in the country. She also finished third in Pac-12 with a .393 hitting percentage and was the first player to garner both Pac-12 Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week Awards this season.

Junior setter Karissa Cook was an All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention, her second all-conference honor after another solid season running the offense. She finished second behind Williams in double-doubles with 18 and averaged 11.36 assists and 3.10 digs per set.

The trio of upperclassmen garnering conference honors was joined by redshirt freshman Lydia Bai, who was named to the All-Pac-12 Freshman Team after playing a big role in the attack as a reserve outside hitter.

The Cardinal also placed six players on Pac-12 All-Academic teams, which were announced last week, led by First Team honoree junior Stephanie Browne.

–Miles Bennett-Smith

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.