Alumna Walsh wins gold in Moscow

July 21, 2011, 1:30 a.m.

Former Stanford women’s volleyball standout Kerri Walsh won gold at the FIVB Swatch Moscow Grand Slam in Russia this week, playing alongside partner Misty May-Treanor.

The two-time Olympic gold medalists in beach volleyball have now won 37 of the 67 FIVB tournaments that they have played in. Their last title came at the Bejing Grand Slam in June, and the two were runners-up at the FIVB World Championship late last month.

Walsh was the all-around star of Stanford’s volleyball team in the late ’90s before making the transition to the beach. She was only the second player in NCAA history to be named a first-team All-American for all four years when she achieved the feat in 1999, also being recognized as the AVCA Co-Player of the Year her senior season.

The FIVB Tour will make its next stop this coming week in Canada for the Quebec Open.

-Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.