Editor’s Welcome

Opinion by Zach Zimmerman

Editor's WelcomeThis might be a bit cliché.

The guy that has spent nearly his entire Daily existence in the sports department is going to begin the new volume with a sports analogy.

Bear with me.

As a young football player pursuing a professional career, Darrell Green was never taken seriously. Sure, he was quick as lightning, but at just 5-foot-9 and a touch over 180 pounds, he was a boy trying to make it in a man’s game. The idea of playing in the NFL appeared nothing more than a fairy tale.

But he kept working, kept improving and took full advantage of the natural talent he possessed. Harnessing All-American speed and determination, Green was drafted in the first round by the Washington Redskins, a move initially questioned but later praised.

During an exhibition game in his rookie season, Green touched the ball for the first time in his young career on what seemed like a routine play. He then proceeded to return the punt 61 yards for a historic touchdown. It was a sign of things to come.

Twenty-five years later, Green’s hall of fame speech resonated across generations of football fans and motivation seekers. In one of the most memorable sports lines of all time, he spoke of his father’s influence in pursuing what he loved in the face of naysayers.

“They said no. He said go.”

The Stanford Daily can learn a lot from Darrell Green. We could “say no,” that in a revolutionized industry struggling for survival, there’s no place for an independent student newspaper. Our writers could “say no” and abandon their dreams of using their love for journalism to provide the Stanford community with the high-quality coverage it has come to expect.

We’re not the biggest, not the richest and certainly not the most developed player in the newspaper game. At times, we’ve been understaffed and underfunded, struggling to provide answers about the future.

Yet The Daily is still here after 119 years, and, this volume, it will be better than ever. We may not score a touchdown with our first issue, but we will continue to strive for excellence and keep you in touch with one of the most unique communities in the world. From the ROTC debate to ASSU Elections to Stanford softball, The Daily will have you covered with fair, accurate and unbiased reporting.

Our dedicated team of student writers, editors, Web developers and business staffers is teeming with years of experience, awards, honors and passion. They have made it their mission to continuously improve and adjust to the evolving standards of journalism while remaining true to the roots of this organization. Quite simply, it’s a phenomenal bunch.

However, what is a team without the support of its fans?

I know you’ve heard it before, but you are truly responsible for our success. Without hearing your voice, we are left without knowledge of how to make your reading experience the best it can possibly be. I encourage you to speak up, speak out and continue the constructive dialogue that shapes this campus.

Unable to get your hands on our recently redesigned print editions? Subscribe on our website, stanforddaily.com, and get our headlines every morning in your inbox. Have an issue to discuss? Send us a letter or op-ed at [email protected]. We will also make ourselves regularly available for any questions, comments or concerns; just check out the staff box on page four for your editor of choice. And please, pay us at visit at our beautiful new building. Send us an e-mail to set up an appointment, or simply drop by for a quick tour.

It’s about you as much as it’s about us. While you may not always like what you see, I urge you to stay connected, stay informed and stay involved.

The newspaper industry may say no, but we say go. Welcome to Volume 239.

Sincerely,

Zach Zimmerman

President and editor in chief, Vol. CCXXXIX