W. Volleyball: Winning in Washington

Faced with a grueling schedule of back-to-back evening matches and several hundred miles of travel in between, the No. 2 Stanford women’s volleyball team showed no sign of fatigue, bringing down Washington State (6-18, 0-14 Pac-10) and No. 11 Washington (18-7, 7-7) on the road last weekend.

On Friday, the Card (22-2, 13-2) headed to Pullman to take on Washington State, the only team yet to win a Pac-10 match this season. Though the Cougars put up a fight—Stanford lost a tight second set—they did not find that elusive victory against the Cardinal, which regrouped to take the match, 25-20, 23-25, 25-19, 25-13.

W. Volleyball: Winning in Washington
Stanford swept its games in Washington last weekend. The Cardinal visits Cal next. The Golden Bears handed Stanford one of its two losses this season (Stanford Daily File Photo)

With a missed serve by the Cougars followed by two aces from Stanford’s freshman middle blocker Carly Wopat, the Card jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first set and never looked back, taking the set, 25-20.

Washington State caught Stanford off guard at the opening of the second set, and the Cardinal trailed 6-2 after several attack errors and strong hitting and serving from the Cougars. Stanford did not tie the score back up until 22-22, but the momentum remained in Washington State’s hands—a block and kill helped seal the second set in the Cougars’ favor, 23-25.

However, the second set proved to be an anomaly, with the Card decisively taking early leads and maintaining them in the next two sets, winning them 25-19 and 25-13, respectively.

Four Stanford players had kills in double digits: senior outside hitter Alix Klineman, the match leader with 18, senior setter Cassidy Lichtman with 13, sophomore opposite Hayley Spelman with 12 and redshirt sophomore middle blocker Jessica Walker with 10. As a unit, the Cardinal front line was extremely efficient, outhitting the Cougars .408 to .258. Senior libero Gabi Ailes led the defense with 16 digs and became the first Cardinal and only seventh Pac-10 player ever to tally 2,000 career digs.

For Washington State, junior outside hitter Meagan Ganzer posted 17 kills, and sophomore opposite Rachel Todorovich added another 12. Sophomore middle blocker Conley Kipp led the match with five blocks, and freshman setter Sara Biondi had 43 assists.

The Card had little time to rest, traveling across the state to face Washington the following evening. The Huskies, fresh off their first home loss of the season to No. 4 California the night before, challenged Stanford all night, but ultimately fell to the Cardinal in four close sets.

Stanford opened the match with a hitting error, which set the tone for the Cardinal’s first-set woes. Although the score was tied at 17-17, consecutive missed serves and unforced hitting errors by Stanford helped Washington to a 25-21 first set win.

The Cardinal came out stronger after the break, with each remaining set coming down to the final few points. In the second set, neither team led by more than three points, and a missed Washington serve and hitting error ultimately gave the Card a 26-24 decision.

Stanford held a two to three point lead over the Huskies for the majority of the third set, until relinquishing the lead at 21-20. Nonetheless, back-to-back Washington hitting errors followed by kills from Spelman and Klineman secured a 25-22 third set for the Card.

Like the second set, Stanford’s and Washington’s point differential was never more than three in the fourth set. However, when the match appeared to be headed to a fifth set—the Huskies had set point at 22-24—the Card, powered by four consecutive kills from Klineman, rallied to win the set and the match, 26-24.

Lichtman recorded her second triple-double of the season, with 30 assists, 12 kills and 10 digs, while Klineman posted a match-high 24 kills as well as 10 digs for her 11th double-double this year. Defensively, sophomore setter Karissa Cook had a career-high 20 digs, and Ailes recorded a season-best 27 digs.

Senior outside hitters Kindra Carlson and Becky Perry led the Huskies with 20 kills and 15 kills, respectively. Carlson also had 14 digs, three blocks and an ace in the match. Senior setter Jenna Hagglund tallied 14 digs and 54 assists, becoming only the 10th setter in Pac-10 history to record 5,000 career assists.

On Friday, the Card will face Cal in Berkeley. The match, which has Pac-10 title implications, will be held at 7 p.m. in Haas Pavilion.