Cross Country: No. 1 Men, No. 17 Women headed to Pre-Nationals

The Stanford men’s and women’s cross country teams look to build off team victories at the Stanford Invitational as the top runners head to Terre Haute, Ind. for the NCAA Pre-Nationals.

The No. 1 men’s squad dominated in its only group appearance this year. With multiple runners capable of finishing in any top 10, the Cardinal once again enters a competition as the odds-on favorite.

However, unlike the Stanford Invitational, the team will be tested by a much more talented field. Stanford is joined by three other teams ranked in the top 10–No. 4 Colorado, No. 5 Northern Arizona and No. 8 Portland.

Junior Chris Derrick, last year’s third place finisher at the NCAA Championships, said that the team plans on remaining consistent in its strategy, but will adjust to the elevated level of competition.

“Our strategy for the [Stanford Invite and Pre-Nationals] will be very similar,” Derrick said. “We will look to work together as a team and run people down at the end. Because the front of the field is more competitive than at the Stanford Invite we may break into two distinct packs more quickly.”

Derrick and senior Elliott Heath will strive to improve their already very impressive times on the Terre Haute course. Last year, Derrick and Heath finished in first and third, respectively, separated only by Sam Chelanga of Liberty, who won the 2008 race by 44 seconds. Chelanga has since graduated, creating the potential for a 1-2 Stanford finish.

Still, Pre-Nationals is a team race, and the Cardinal will approach the 8,000-meter race like any other.

“As with any meet we enter we want to win as a team,” Derrick said. “Pre-Nats should also be helpful in rehearsing our strategy for nationals.”

The No. 17 women, down three spots in the polls, are also off to a strong start. Like the men, they were victorious at the Stanford Invitational, performing at a level that brought up questions about their uncharacteristically low ranking.

The women’s Blue and White races (eight and six kilometers, respectively) will also pose a tough challenge for any team at the meet, as four of the top-10 teams–No. 3 Florida State, No 5 Georgetown, No. 6 Arizona and No. 9 Colorado–will be on hand.

The Cardinal is led by sophomore Kathy Kroeger, who won the individual title at the Stanford Invitational. She hopes to help Stanford improve on its fifth-place finish at Pre-Nationals a year ago, a meet in which she did not compete.

Junior Georgia Griffin, sophomore Alex Dunne and freshman Jessica Tonn also put together strong performances and will be relied on heavily if Stanford is to challenge for a podium position this weekend.

Pre-Nationals is split up into two races for each gender–the Blue and White races. The men will compete in the 8,000-meter Blue Race at 9:10 a.m. while the women start the 6,000-meter White Race at 8:35 a.m.