BRIEF: Trent Edwards signed by NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars

Sept. 29, 2010, 1:31 a.m.

Former Stanford quarterback Trent Edwards ’07 was picked up by the Jacksonville Jaguars Tuesday, just one day after being released by the Buffalo Bills.

Edwards’ NFL tenure has been inconsistent at best. After being named the third-best quarterback in the 2007 NFL Draft by ESPN’s Mel Kiper, Jr., the Bills drafted Edwards in the third round. After then-starter J.P. Losman went down with an injury, Edwards made his first career start just three games into his rookie season. His performance earned him a selection on the 2007 NFL All-Rookie Team.

However, injuries plagued him over the next few seasons. In recent years he has battled Ryan Fitzpatrick for the starting position in Buffalo. Edwards was named the starter for the 2010 season, but was benched in favor of Fitzpatrick last week after the Bills started 0-2. He was cut by the Bills on Tuesday after throwing for just 241 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions in two games.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, who have quarterback problems of their own with current starter David Garrard, were quick to claim Edwards off waivers. He will immediately enter the role as Garrard’s primary backup and, depending on Garrard’s play, has the potential to regain a starting position.

Stanford fans will remember Edwards as the starting quarterback during the infamous 2006 season. Edwards started seven games of the 1-11 campaign for the Cardinal before getting injured, ending his Stanford career on a low note. He was also the last starting quarterback of the Walt Harris era, leaving for the NFL before current head coach Jim Harbaugh took the position in 2007.

Edwards has started in 32 games in just over three seasons of NFL play. He has thrown for 5,739 yards, 23 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. He carries a career passer rating of 76.8.