The Daily brief: July 9, 2010

Federal funding | The Palo Alto Weekly’s cover story today takes a look at the history of federal research dollars flowing to Stanford and Silicon Valley — funding that University President John Hennessy and others worry is headed for trouble.

Bookless | Stanford’s new engineering library — which will hold fewer books, not more — continues to make waves.

Obama appointee | President Obama will appoint Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar, a Stanford Law School professor, to the the Council of the Administrative Conference of the United States, the law school said today.

See Drew in Aspen | Drew Endy, that is. The Stanford bioengineering professor spoke at the Aspen Ideas Festival this week.

Statesman | “Turmoil & Triumph,” a new documentary about George Shultz, Hoover distinguished fellow and former U.S. secretary of state, debuts July 12. It makes “a powerful case has been made for Mr. Shultz as one of the most significant statesmen in American history,” The Wall Street Journal writes.

Overheard | “He’s criticizing all of us, including himself.” — Shelley Fisher Fishkin, English professor, discusses Mark Twain’s forthcoming autobiography.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest.