W. Soccer: Cardinal falls in College Cup Final

Dec. 6, 2009, 3:15 p.m.

The Stanford women’s soccer team’s dream season came up one win short of a perfect season and a national championship today, falling 1-0 to defending champions North Carolina in College Station, Texas. On a wet and rainy pitch, the Cardinal struggled to assert itself against the vastly experienced Tar Heels, and in the end was shut out for the first time all year.

The lone goal came just three minutes into the match. UNC’s Casey Nogueira whipped in a beautiful cross from the left and fellow forward Jessica McDonald snuck in behind the backline to touch it past Stanford goalkeeper Kira Maker. Just like that, it was 1-0.

Stanford faced a similar situation in the round of sixteen against Boston College, going down less than two minutes into the match. In that match, the Card struck back less than a minute later, but the team would find breaking down this ACC team was a much more difficult proposition.

The Cardinal players were having trouble gaining possession against UNC’s high pressure, and when they were, they were often wasting long balls to no one in particular. The team struggled to create anything in the final third, and it was almost 20 minutes before it registered a shot, with sophomore midfielder Teresa Noyola hitting a long-range effort too high.

Meanwhile, the Tar Heels were playing with confidence and came close twice off of corner kicks in the 23rd and 26th minutes—however, both of Amber Brooks’ headers went wide.

Despite being outplayed, the Card had the ball in the net in the 39th minute. Junior forward Christen Press made a great move on the left before sending in a bending cross into the box. Freshman Courtney Verloo appeared to miss her sliding attempt in front of the goal, but the ball continued on and into the corner of the net. However, the linesman’s flag was up for offsides. The game would go into halftime with a score of 1-0, and with UNC holding a 10-2 advantage in shots and a 7-0 advantage in corners.

Stanford showed its spirit in the second half, though, and came out of the gates much more crisply than had been seen in the entire first 45 minutes. Press won the team’s first corner kick in the 51st minute and delivered a great ball into the box. Freshman midfielder Mariah Nogueira— no relation to Casey—got a head on it but could only direct it over the goal.

Three minutes later senior forward Kelley O’Hara—one of six Stanford players revealed to be suffering from a stomach virus—collected a throw in on the left and turned past her defender towards the middle. Falling away from goal and under pressure, though, her effort was always going high.

In the 57th minute Press ripped from about 25 yards out but once again had a little too much height on it. Stanford wasn’t getting great chances, but there were chances nonetheless.

The Card almost found itself down 2-0 in the 71st minute. A North Carolina corner kick was drilled low into the penalty area and passed all the way through the six yard box and out the other side. All it needed was a touch from one of the Tar Heels in the area, but no one could get a foot on it.

Even so, Stanford’s comeback quest was about to become a lot more difficult in the 73rd minute. O’Hara was throwing herself full speed into every challenge to win the ball and was booked for a tackle from behind on UNC’s Whitney Engen. The yellow card was her second of the match after receiving one four minutes earlier, and just like that Card was down to 10 players. It was a far from fitting end to a career that was so inspirational to the Stanford program.

With her strike partner off the field, Press was going to have to carry the team on her back, and she almost scored a sensational equalizer a minute later. The junior picked up the ball in midfield and drove forward, striking a hard shot that was heading right under the crossbar. Unfortunately, it was hit right at the center of the goal, and UNC keeper Ashlyn Harris made the save.

The Tar Heels had perhaps their best chance to double their advantage in the 77th minute. Casey Nogueira held up the ball at the top of the box and slipped in a brilliant through ball to McDonald, but McDonald put her 1v1 effort with Maker just wide.

Stanford surged forward for one last attack, but UNC’s stout defense and extra player made it difficult for them to build anything substantive. It was going to take a moment of magic from Press, who was working her socks off, and with time running out she almost supplied it. With just under two minutes remaining, the striker controlled a long ball with her chest outside the box and drilled it off the far post and into the net. Yet once again, the offsides flag killed any possible Stanford celebrations. The Cardinal would get a corner kick in the final minute but could not convert, and soon after North Carolina was celebrating its 20th national championship.

As for Stanford, the program is still searching for its first. Just like with the team’s star player, the ending was not at all fitting for such an incredible season.