Ten win Gates, Luce, Soros awards

Otis Chodosh ’10 and Allison Rhines ’10 have received the Gates Scholarship and will head to Cambridge in the fall to pursue graduate studies, while Rayden Llano ’10 and Gillian Quandt ’06 M.A. ‘07 will travel to Asia to pursue internships beginning this summer after being named Luce Scholars. In addition, six current Stanford students were recently awarded Paul and Daisy Soros fellowships.

The Gates Scholarship, funded by the Gates Cambridge Trust, is an international program founded in 2000 to give students outside of the United Kingdom an opportunity to study at Cambridge. Scholarships are awarded based on intellectual merit, leadership skills and a desire to improve the lives of others.

Chodosh, currently majoring in math and physics, plans to earn a Masters of Advanced Study degree in pure mathematics, while Rhines, a human biology major, will pursue a Master of Philosophy degree in human evolutionary studies.

Human biology major Llano and alumna Quandt were two of 18 Americans chosen for the Luce Scholars Program, which provides a nonacademic opportunity for students with limited knowledge of Asia to participate in internships in various countries.

Llano hopes to work in China or Japan to examine either country’s health care systems, while Quandt hopes to work in Cambodia with the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts.

Paul and Daisy Soros established a fellowship in 1997 to benefit graduate study for “New Americans” — immigrants and their children. Of 890 applicants, 31 fellowships were awarded this year.

The six Stanford students are former undergraduates Philip Tanedo ‘06, Tarek Ghani ’03 and Tony Pan ’08 and current medical students Bowen Jiang ’08 M.D. ‘13, Abdul Rasheed M.D. ’12 and Shah Ali (year unknown).

— Kate Abbott