Lazarus: Indian could work if done respectfully

Pop quiz:
1. Where are the Iroquois tribes from?

2. Where are the Apache from?

3. Finally, where are the Seminoles from?
Answers: New York, the Southwest and Florida.
Unless you’re still up on your AP U.S. History, there’s a good chance you only knew the answer to question number three. The Seminoles did not have a bigger impact than the Iroquois or Apaches, yet they are one of the few tribes the average American can place on a map.

Why? The Seminoles have a major sports team named after them. Be honest with yourself: if it wasn’t for Florida State, you probably would be just as clueless about the Seminoles’ location.

Same goes for the Illini (University of Illinois), Blackhawks (NHL’s Chicago franchise) and the Utes (University of Utah).

Blame it on poor education, lack of media attention or pop culture indifference, but Native Americans are quickly becoming a forgotten people. Sports are some of the last bastions where Native American tribes can gain recognition.

The problem is, of course, that not all of that recognition is positive. Over-the-top insensitive mascots, offensive team names such as “Redskins” and traditions like the tomahawk chop contribute to the stereotypical view of the Native American as a backward, dumb and violent person.

This doesn’t have to be the case.

Sports have the power to enhance a reputation. Used correctly, Native American-based team names and mascots can teach the history of a tribe, promote its culture and, most importantly, remind the public that the tribe still in fact exists.

It’s time for Stanford to bring back the Indian.

In 1972, Stanford University officially dropped its Indian mascot, and in 1981, adopted the color “Cardinal.” All Native American imagery was removed from the campus. Local high schools quickly followed suit, eliminating their own Native American names and mascots.

It’s as if Native Americans were never a part of the Bay Area’s history. Now, the biggest (and practically only) reminder of Native American history are Indian casinos. We must do better.

A Native American mascot is not inherently racist. Yes, Prince Lightfoot (Stanford’s former mascot) was an abomination with his oversized nose, unibrow and feathers in his hair. Yet no rule exists saying that all Indian mascots have to be caricatures of Native Americans.

Return to Florida State and its mascot Chief Osceola. Chief Osceola was a Seminole war hero who led attacks on federal troops during the 1830s. FSU worked with the Seminole tribe to ensure that the mascot’s costume and dances are historically accurate. As a result, the Seminole tribe counts itself as one of Florida State’s biggest fans.

Why can’t a similar arrangement be set up at Stanford?

There are tons of local tribes in the area. Why not choose one of them to work closely with? Collaborate with the tribe to design a mascot that is culturally and historically correct and that energizes the crowd — the purpose of a mascot in the first place, and something the color cardinal could never do.

The Muwekma House could work in tandem with the tribe to host informational talks and activities about the traditions of that tribe.

The Athletic Department could host fundraisers and charity events for the tribe to benefit schooling and health care for the often-impoverished Native American tribesman and women.

The tribe could perform during halftime shows at football and basketball games, displaying different aspects of its culture and customs.

Bottom line: both sides can benefit. The student body will receive a mascot it can take pride in, a mascot that can fire up the crowd during home games, a mascot that can become a symbol of this university and give back to the community.

The Native American tribe will receive recognition, money, prominence and respect. The tribe will be thrust back into the national spotlight where it would be more able to advocate for its policies.

Even when we bring back the Indian, we can still keep the notorious Stanford Tree. The Tree is the Band’s mascot, not the University’s mascot. All the high jinks, shenanigans and pranks the Tree pulls off now would stay.

Stanford would receive a second mascot more equipped to handle the pressures of representing an athletic and academic powerhouse. The Native Americans would not be forgotten.
Mike Lazarus is unaware that the Blackhawks are named after Chief Black Hawk, not the Blackhawk tribe. Teach him mascot history at mlazarus “at” stanford.edu.