BRIEF: Women’s soccer has three called up for U-20 Tournament

Three players from the Stanford women’s soccer team have received call-ups for the CONCACAF Women’s Under-20 Championships, which will take place in Guatemala later this month. Sophomore midfielder Teresa Noyola and freshmen defenders Alina Garciamendez and Rachel Quon will all be participating in the tournament, which will serve to determine North and Central America’s entrants in the U-20 Women’s World Cup.

Noyola and Quon will be representing the heavily favored US team after strong seasons for the national runner-up Cardinal. Noyola contributed six goals and three assists despite being in and out of the lineup with injury, and Quon had an incredible debut season at right fullback, being named not only to the Pac-10 All-Freshman team, but the Pac-10 All-Conference first team as well.

Garciamendez, Quon’s classmate, will be playing for the Mexican team. The centerback was also named to the conference All-Freshman team, and was a Pac-10 second team selection. She has already represented the full Mexican national team, receiving her first caps last month.

The CONCACAF Championships will run from Jan. 19-30, and the U-20 World Cup, which the top three CONCACAF teams will qualify for, will take place in Germany from July 13-Aug. 1.