How does The Daily’s Equity Project Section work?

The following questions were answered by The Daily’s Vol. 259 Equity Project Managing Editor Sarina Deb.

What work does your section do?

As one of The Daily’s newest additions, the Equity Project is an opportunity for you to engage in proactive journalism grounded in creating and maintaining strong community connections. With the Equity Project, you will have the opportunity to develop long-form narratives centering underrepresented communities on campus and beyond. Your content can take the form of a news article, a personal reflection, a podcast, or something else. Potential topics you can explore include gentrification in East Palo Alto, Stanford’s history of policing, LGBTQ+ student experiences, and student activism on campus. 

What does joining your section entail? How much work does it look like per week?

Joining the section looks like attending a weekly 30-45 minute meeting and working on one long-form project for 5-10 weeks and 1-2 short term projects(i.e event coverage). Each week you will spend a little bit of time reaching out to sources, doing research, or writing and editing, supported by our team of editors and consultants. You have full autonomy to choose your topic and will be guided through the process of sourcing, writing, editing, and publishing. 

When does your section meet?

Saturdays at 3:30 p.m. PT on Zoom!

How can people join your section?

Reach out to me (Sarina Deb) on Slack or via email ([email protected]).

Who can people contact with questions about your section or to join?

Reach out to me (Sarina Deb) on Slack or via email ([email protected]), or reach out to Melissa Loupeda or Michael Espinosa via Slack. 

What could a writer stand to gain by joining your section? (I.e. skills, jobs, whatever)

Participants will cultivate strong community connections, gain a deeper understanding of how political and social issues shape the Stanford community and develop their long-form journalism skills. Participants will also learn how to conduct meaningful interviews and research, how to handle sensitive subject matter and how to perform ethical journalism with the ultimate goal of promoting diversity, equity and inclusion. Finally, participants will get to work with a dynamic and supportive team as they work towards curating content they are personally passionate about. 

How can people submit freelance articles?