The best virtual art exhibitions on view right now

Although many art galleries and museums now offer limited in-person experiences, nearly every major art institution has also made its exhibitions and collections accessible online. If you’re seeking something to keep you occupied over Thanksgiving break, you can view incredible exhibitions from all over the country, without ever leaving your sofa. 

Wayne Thiebaud (Berggruen Gallery, San Francisco) 

Widely revered for his colorful depictions of everyday objects, ranging from sweet confections to lipsticks, Wayne Thiebaud remains one of my all-time favorite artists. This exhibition honors two special occasions: Thiebaud’s 100th birthday and Berggruen Gallery’s 50th anniversary. The exhibition is on view through Nov. 28, 2020. 

Jordan Casteel: Within Reach (The New Museum, New York)

Jordan Casteel’s larger-than-life portraits tell the stories of her friends, lovers and family, as well as people living in Harlem and other parts of New York City. In 2019, the Cantor Arts Center hosted the exhibition “Jordan Casteel: Returning the Gaze,” which featured a collection of her paintings. I vividly remember visiting this exhibit and falling in love with Casteel’s work. Her exhibition at The New Museum runs through Jan. 3, 2021. 

Rembrandt in Southern California 

A collaboration between The Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), The Getty Collection, Hammer Museum, Norton Simon Museum and Timken Museum of Art, “Rembrandt in Southern California” displays all of Rembrandt’s paintings on view throughout Southern California on a single website. 

Femme Touch (Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh) 

Centering on the influential women throughout Andy Warhol’s life, ranging from his mother to his would-be assassin, “Femme Touch” presents a new narrative of Warhol, offering a retelling of his life through the eyes of those who were overlooked throughout his career. It is available to view online through Jan. 3, 2021. 

Listening for the Unsaid (David Kordansky Gallery, Los Angeles)  

Curated by The Racial Imaginary Institute, “Listening for the Unsaid” includes works by Dannielle Brathwaite-Shirley, Anaïs Duplan, Nona Faustine, Jon Henry, Nate Lewis, Azikiwe Mohammed, Public Assistants and Kiyan Williams. Activists, writers and artists worked together to create this group exhibition. It is on view until Dec. 19, 2020.

Natasha Law: Up Close (Voltz Clarke Gallery, New York)

Opening on Nov. 19, 2020, Natasha Law’s solo virtual gallery show will feature a collection of her signature high-gloss paintings on paper, most of which embody her distinct silhouette style. A rising contemporary artist, Law is certainly one to watch. 

Virtual Views: Faith Ringgold (MOMA, New York)

Perhaps best known for her narrative quilts, Faith Ringgold is one of the most prolific and talented artists working today. Under MOMA’s “Virtual Views” section on their website, visitors can now experience an ongoing installation of Faith Ringgold’s work. The online resource includes Q&A’s, poetry, audio features and more. 

Writing the future: Basquiat and the Hip-Hop Generation (Museum of Fine Arts, Boston) 

On view through May 16, 2021, The MFA’s Basquiat exhibit focuses on Basquiat’s work in relation to hip-hop. While many museums and galleries continue to display his work, this exhibit stands out in the way that it contextualizes his paintings in terms of music. 

Félix Fénéon: The Anarchist and the Avant-Garde- From Signac to Matisse and Beyond (MOMA, New York) 

Despite being an art history major, I did not know much about the fascinating life of French art critic Félix Fénéon until viewing this virtual exhibit. Having coined the term “Neo-Impressionism” in 1886, Fénéon championed young, up-and-coming artists during his illustrious career. He greatly influenced the development of modernism, and this exhibit dedicated to Fénéon explores his love of the avant-garde and features a diverse group of artists, from Henri Matisse to Paul Signac, many of whom are now household names courtesy of Fénéon. 

Titus Kaphar: From a Tropical State (Gagosian Gallery, New York)

Titus Kaphar: From a Tropical State” marks multidisciplinary artist Titus Kaphar’s first exhibition with Gagosian Gallery and his new representation. Kaphar incorporates painting, sculpting and filmmaking into his work. It is on view through Dec. 19, 2020. 

The Broad Collection (The Broad Museum, Los Angeles) 

Although The Broad’s incredible collection of contemporary art is not an exhibition, the museum’s website allows users to view the museum’s permanent collection in depth. Having grown up in Los Angeles, The Broad remains one of my go-to museums and includes works by everyone from Mark Tansey to Barbara Kruger to Michael Basquiat. The Broad will certainly be one of the first places I will visit as soon as it is safe to do so. 

Contact Alexandra Chang at abc2022 ‘at’ stanford.edu.