Women’s gymnastics falls to Oregon State on the road

Following a tough home loss to No. 3 UCLA, Stanford’s women’s gymnastics again faced defeat during a road trip to Oregon on Sunday. In Stanford’s third straight loss and third consecutive matchup against a ranked opponent, No. 25 Oregon State cruised past the Cardinal to a 196.825-194.575 victory. 

Aside from the uneven bars, where Stanford junior Kyla Bryant reigned supreme, the Beavers secured the top spots in each event. Bryant also claimed the No. 2 slot on the floor with a strong 9.900 performance; however, Oregon State was eager to demonstrate its strength in the event as well, and Bryant shared her position with OSU’s Savanna Force and Kaitlyn Yanish. 

On the balance beam, Bryant was again among Stanford’s top performers with a 9.850, which earned her a fourth-place finish. Bryant was joined in the spot by sophomore Wesley Stephenson. However, the duo’s success was not enough to help the Cardinal break 49.000 on the beam, as they did for the first time this season against UCLA on Jan. 27. 

Absent from Stanford’s lineup against the Beavers was freshman Chloe Widner, who had followed in Bryant’s footsteps by entering her first year as an all-arounder. Without Widner, Bryant remained the only competitor in all events and finished with a total score of 39.425, just higher than her 39.400 performance against the Bruins last week.

Oregon State, on the other hand, competed without any all-arounders on its roster, and instead relied on impressive performances from its specialists to edge past the Cardinal. The Beavers were driven by Lacy Dagen’s 9.975 first-place finish on the balance beam and Isis Lowry’s identical score on the floor. 

For their next chance to snap the losing streak, the Cardinal will return to the Farm to take on the University of Washington on Feb. 10. Stanford has defeated the Huskies in the team’s last three meetings, the most recent of which came in 2015. The action is set to begin at 6 p.m. PT. 

Contact Savanna Stewart at savnstew ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Savanna Stewart is a managing editor in the Sports section. She is a junior from Twin Bridges, Montana studying Political Science and Communication and enjoys running and playing basketball. Contact her at sstewart 'at' stanforddaily.com.