Altercation outside frat’s Eurotrash party leaves deputy seriously injured

A suspect who appeared to be intoxicated attempted to flee from officers Friday night, resisting arrest and resulting in serious injury to a Stanford deputy, according to Stanford public safety department spokesman Bill Larson. The incident occurred near the residence of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, which was hosting its annual Eurotrash event, the first all-campus party of the year. 

The suspect was charged with resisting arrest and misdemeanors including being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. 

The incident was first reported on by the Fountain Hopper (FoHo).

The arrest was made “in the vicinity of 675 Lomita Drive,” Larson wrote in a statement to The Daily. While 675 Lomita Drive, the address for the Theta Delta Chi (TDX) house, neighbors Kappa Sigma, Kappa Sigma President Conrad Milhaupt wrote in an email to The Daily that the fraternity has “no reason to believe the student involved was admitted to or otherwise engaged with [the] event” given the fraternity’s rule that students who are visibly intoxicated be denied entry. He added that Kappa Sigma had implemented increased risk management measures this year, including private security and more sober monitors. 

At around 10:30 p.m., Larson said, police approached the suspect, described as “an individual who appeared to be intoxicated,” and they attempted to flee the scene, resulting in injury to the deputy.

After being treated at the scene, the suspect and deputy were “transported to the Stanford Hospital for further evaluation and treatment,” according to Larson. The suspect was then brought to San Jose jail. 

Provost Persis Drell was spotted at the scene of the party, according to a student who was present at the incident and requested anonymity due to privacy concerns. Provost Drell confirmed, in a statement to The Daily, that her presence was part of a ride-along.

Larson did not release any details about the suspect or their current or future status of enrollment at the University. 

This article has been updated to include comment from Kappa Sigma’s president and mention of a statement from Provost Persis Drell. The headline has been corrected to clarify that the incident happened outside of, not at, Eurotrash. The Daily regrets this error.

Contact Leily Rezvani at lrezvani ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Leily Rezvani is the managing editor of podcasts and a desk editor of news. She is a sophomore majoring in Symbolic Systems in hopes of better understanding the intersection between technology and the humanities. Leily has interned for National Public Radio, Google Arts and Culture, the United Nations Association, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Contact Leily at lrezvani ‘at’ stanford.edu.