‘Avengers: Endgame’ theories: The serious and the silly

Immediately after seeing “Avengers: Infinity War,” I was ready for “Avengers: Endgame.” I wasn’t (and still am not) ready to say goodbye to some of my most beloved characters in cinematic history, but I have a love-hate relationship with cliffhangers that can only be solved by watching the dramatic conclusion. If you have somehow not come into contact with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, “Avengers: Endgame” is the final film of a 22-movie, 10-year saga that has taken over millions of fans’ lives since Tony Stark first strode onto screens in “Iron Man.” I have been waiting (im)patiently for almost a year now, and what else is there to do to pass time except create your own theories and watch cast interviews? Here is my short list of “Endgame” theories to hold you over until Thursday night, or whenever you are able to escape off-campus for three hours straight. Fair warning: most of these theories will spoil the previous movies, including “Captain Marvel,” and most of the TV spots and trailers. If you don’t want to be spoiled for any of the previous movies (or “Endgame,” if any of these theories are right), do not read on.

Let’s start with my own theories:

1. In many of the first trailers, we see Tony Stark drifting off into space, facing certain death as his food and oxygen supplies run out. However, we see in later trailers that Tony makes it to Earth in order to team up with the rest of the Avengers who survived “Infinity War.” Hopefully, Valkyrie, the elite Asgardian warrior who first appeared in “Thor: Ragnarok,” will make a surprise appearance and save Tony on her way to join Thor on Earth. Valkyrie did not appear in “Infinity War,” but based on pre-released character posters, Valkyrie survived Thanos’ attack on the Asgardians and will most likely be back to avenge her people.
  2. This theory is a bit more far-fetched, but I’m still mad after seeing “Infinity War.” Similar to the plot twist in “Breaking Dawn – Part 2,” in which the epic battle at the end of the movie is all a premonition of the future, this theory supposes that much of “Infinity War” never actually happened. In my theory, when Thanos tries to kill Gamora, his act was not one of real love — abuse is not love. Red Skull — or whatever powers protect the Soul Stone — will show Thanos his future should he attempt to kill Gamora out of selfishness, making the events that follow this scene in “Infinity War” all a vision. Alternatively, what the audience saw in Infinity War might be one of Doctor Strange’s visions that he sees on Titan. Either way, there is a possibility that parts of Infinity War are not reality.
  3. Now for this one, I can’t guess the specifics, but I do have a theory that the six main avengers — Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye — will all die. There are six original Avengers and six Infinity Stones; one Avenger to sacrifice themself to destroy one stone.

And now for the best theories I could find in my many hours of watching YouTube videos and reading thread posts:

1. First, my personal favorite: Goose, the cat-like Flerken who stole hearts in “Captain Marvel,” will make a reprise and just straight up eat Thanos.
  2. The reason why it has taken Thanos so long to collect the stones and attack is because Hela is still alive. Hela, who starred as the villain in “Thor: Ragnarok,” is the goddess of death and the sister of Thor and Loki. With all her powers and skills as a warrior goddess, she would have made a worthy opponent for Thanos and might have turned towards collecting the stones eventually. Thanos waited until Hela was dead to attack so that he would be more likely to succeed.
  3. The Quantum Realm will be used in some way — with the white suits in several of the trailers and Chris Evans’s quote about chafing while running through interdimensional portals, it’s safe to say that it will be used in this movie, whether to find the lost Avengers or go back in time.
  4. Another theory says that none of Thanos’s victims are dead; instead, they are trapped in the Soul Stone. Thanos talked to Gamora’s soul at the end of Infinity War, which may point to the idea that those who have died in the snap aren’t truly gone.
  5. A theory posits that the victims aren’t dead, but were sent to another dimension. A more dismal theory elaborates on this one, guessing that Marvel will move forward with the other half of the supposedly dead Avengers, while the ‘alive’ ones at the end of “Infinity War” are the ones left behind. They either sacrifice themselves for the other universe, or they defeat Thanos and destroy the stones, but the universes remain split with characters like the Black Panther, Spider Man and Doctor Strange becoming the new leads.
  6. Finally, a favorite among fans and actors alike, my last internet theory guesses that Scott Lang/Ant Man will shrink down and expand inside Thanos’ butt in order to kill him.

With “Endgame” coming in only a few days, we’ll be finding out what really happens soon. Enjoy these theories and send me your own, but be sure to avoid spreading spoilers after Thursday! Get ready to avenge the fallen.

Contact Caroline Keyes at ckeyes22 ‘at’ stanford.edu.