Accessibility statementSkip to main content
We need your help: All banner donations made today will support The Daily's new staff financial aid program.
Learn more and donate.

One of two Stanford plaintiffs to drop out of admissions lawsuit, lawyer says

Several students to be added in amended complaint to be filed later today

Erica Olsen ’21, one of two Stanford students who have filed a class-action suit against Stanford University and seven other universities implicated in the college admissions bribery scandal, will be dropping out of the suit, lawyer John Medler told The Daily on Thursday morning. Medler and two other lawyers are representing the plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

Medler also wrote that “several” other plaintiffs will be added when an amended complaint is filed later today.

Olsen declined to comment.

Medler and Kalea Woods ’20 — the only other plaintiff currently on the suit — could not be immediately reached by The Daily for comment.

The suit alleges that Olsen and Woods — along with all students who between 2012 and 2018 were rejected from one of the eight colleges named after paying an application fee — were denied a “fair admissions consideration process” due to defendant William Singer’s multimillion-dollar admissions cheating scheme. With the help of Singer, wealthy parents across the country paid proctors to inflate their children’s standardized test scores or, in some cases, bribed college athletic coaches to act as if their children were recruited athletes.

This story will be updated as more details come to light.

The author's profile picture

Erin Woo '21 is The Daily's Vol. 259 Editor-in-Chief. Born and raised in Atlanta, GA, she is studying communications and creative writing at Stanford. She has also reported for The Mercury News and WNYC. Contact her at eic 'at' stanforddaily.com.