Cartwright, Walker will not return for men’s basketball’s upcoming season

Stanford men’s basketball’s senior guard Robert Cartwright and junior forward Cameron Walker will not return for the 2018-19 NCAA season.

Cartwright will grad transfer for his final year of eligibility, while Walker will remain at Stanford but will not play due to NCAA medical disqualification.

Cartwright was given a medical redshirt for his sophomore season after suffering a compound fracture in his right arm in a preseason practice.

In the three seasons Cartwright was able to play, he averaged 4.7 points, 2.3 assists and 1.5 rebounds in 18.8 minutes per game. This past season, Cartwright set career highs in points (7.2 per game), rebounds (2.3 per game) and field goal shooting (38.2 percent).

Cartwright’s career high in points was set against Washington State in his junior year as he scored 21 points and dished seven assists in the victory.

Walker did not play his junior season due to his medical disqualification, but he saw action in 39 games during his first two years on the Farm.

With two scholarships spots now open, the Cardinal will have to fill those spots before the upcoming season. One spot will be filled by Iona Prep graduate and three-star guard Bryce Wills. The other remains unclaimed, so the Cardinal will need to hit the recruiting trails to round out the 2018 class.

“I want to thank Cam and Rob for their contributions to the Stanford men’s basketball program and wish them the very best as they move forward with their careers,” Stanford head coach Jerod Haase said. “Cam and Rob will always be a part of our Stanford family.”

Contact Jose Saldana at jsaldana ‘at’ stanford.edu.