Stanford women’s gymnastics barely bested by Huskies

Stanford women’s gymnastics was unable to defeat Washington on Saturday, wrapping up the night with 196.475-195.450 all-around scores at the Hec Edmundson Pavilion.

Stanford women's gymnastics barely bested by Huskies
Freshman all-around Kyla Bryant had two shared first-place titles on Saturday evening in Washington. The newcomer has already contributed greatly to the team, representing a class of six freshmen to enter the Stanford women’s gymnastics arena. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/Stanford Athletics)

No. 22 Stanford put up an outstanding fight with multiple gymnasts earning titles in their events, but the No. 10 Huskies were able to come out on top regardless.

Senior all-around Cardinal competitor Elizabeth Price managed to notch her fifth all-around title of this season with a score of 39.425. Price got second place on the vault event with a 9.900, tied for first with teammate, freshman Kyla Bryant, on the uneven bars (9.900). She also earned fourth on the beam with a 9.825 and finished off floor with a 9.800.

Price was not the only one that outdid herself. Bryant contributed a tie for first on uneven bars, a tie for first on floor (9.875), a 9.825 on vault and a lesser but still impressive 9.625 on the beam. Her strong finish on all four events won her the third place all around with a 39.225.

Freshman all-around Rachael Flam also added a title with a career-high 9.925 score in the vault event. Flam was the third and final all-around gymnast for the Cardinal, finishing off with a 37.825.

The Cardinal took two of the four events during the night: An overall season-high 49.225 in vault outdid Washington’s 48.900, and the 49.125 posted in floor barely overcame the home team’s 49.100.

Although the Cardinal was unable to take the win on Saturday night, the performances of the gymnasts, who hail from all four classes, demonstrated the depth of the team. Freshmen such as Bryant and Flam were good examples of an up-and-coming freshman class that has much to show to the world. On Saturday, other freshmen such as Taylor Lawson and Lauren Navarro also came out strong. Since six of the 13 Stanford gymnasts this year are freshmen, it’s important for them to convey their important role on the team.

Sophomore Kaylee Cole also put up a solid performance, notching 9.800’s in vault, floor and beam, starting for the Cardinal in all three events. Juniors Hailee and Nicole Hoffman also made their dent, as always. Price, as the only senior on the team, definitely was able to hold her ground as a one-woman show.

This is the Cardinal’s third loss in a row, but all three have been extremely tight, showing much potential wins ahead for the team. They take on Georgia, Nebraska and Illinois on Friday at the Elevate the Stage Meet in Augusta, Georgia. The competition will begin at 4:45 p.m. and live scores will be kept on GoStanford.com.

Contact Laura Sussman at laura111 ‘at’ stanford.edu.