Women’s basketball welcomes ASU, Arizona this weekend

COVERAGE: Pac-12 Networks

UP NEXT: Arizona State, Arizona

1/26, 1/28

After a split SoCal road trip, Stanford women’s basketball (12-8, 6-2 Pac-12) heads home for weekend games against No. 25 Arizona State (14-6, 5-3) on Friday and Arizona (5-14, 1-7) on Sunday.

Stanford expects a lot, once again, from freshman guard Kiana Williams, who has earned her starting spot as a shooting guard on the team and is one of the team’s scoring leaders averaging 10.3 points a contest in Pac-12 play. After playing 14 minutes a game in her first seven games, she has since been playing 22 minutes a game.

“I’m adjusting,” Williams said. “There’s so much more you need to know at this level: personnel, who you’re guarding, what the opponent likes to do and how to take it away. And the pace of the game is so much faster, and the physicality.”

Last time the Cardinal met the Wildcats, the team used a strong first quarter to take a commanding 11-point lead. Overall, the team dominated inside, grabbing 51 rebounds including 24 offensive boards and recording a season-high 10 blocks.

The game against the Sun Devils was a different story. Despite double-digit scoring from senior Brittany McPhee, sophomore Dijonai Carrington and freshman Kiana Williams, Stanford wasn’t able to contain ASU as the Sun Devils pulled away in the second frame, during which they outscored the Cardinal 21-7.

The Sun Devils also had the upper hand inside the key, as they outrebounded Stanford 47-24 while claiming 22 second-chance points and 13 offensive rebounds on the Cardinal.

This time, Stanford will need its upperclassmen to lead the way on both ends of the floor as the team is looking to avenge their previous loss to the Sun Devils. The Cardinal will also need to stay out of foul trouble, having conceded 39 free throw opportunities, 24 of which were converted last time the two teams faced off.

The action starts at 7 p.m. on Friday and 5 p.m. on Sunday, and both games will be broadcasted on Pac-12 Networks.

Contact Alexandre Bucquet at bucqueta ‘at’ stanford.edu.