Meeks, Reid declare for 2018 NFL Draft, forgo senior year

Stanford juniors safety Justin Reid and cornerback Quenton Meeks are foregoing their senior year of eligibility and are declaring their intentions in entering the 2018 NFL Draft.

Reid, the brother of San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid, had a stellar season for the Cardinal. He was named on the All-Pac-12 first team and AP All-America second team, and he was a Jim Thorpe semifinalist, which recognizes the top defensive back in college football. Reid racked up 99 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss (TFL) and five interceptions — all career highs in a season.

Reid played in every game this season, but his Alamo Bowl appearance was cut short due to an injury suffered during the game. He was sorely missed as Stanford would go on to blow an 18-point lead with Reid out of the game.

He was four-star recruit out of Dutchtown High School in Louisiana, where he led his team to three district championships.

In his letter declaring for the NFL Draft, Reid wrote, “I know that I’m mentally, physically and emotionally prepared to become a professional athlete. My education is very important to me, and I do fully intend on returning to finish my degree.”

Quenton “Showtime” Meeks has covered opposing wide receivers since he broke out his freshman year in 2015. His performance against Washington State two years ago basically won the game for Stanford. He picked off Cougars quarterback Luke Falk twice in the second half to help the Cardinal to a huge 30-28 victory in the Palouse.

He also had a 66-yard interception return for a touchdown in the Rose Bowl against Iowa, which put Stanford up by three scores. His freshman year was a sign of things to come as Meeks has had a productive collegiate career for the Cardinal.

This season, he made the All-Pac-12 second team, accumulated 65 total tackles and intercepted two passes.

Meeks, like Reid, was a four-star recruit, but Meeks played football at Del Norte High School in San Diego, California.

He announced his declaration in a letter posted on his social media account, stating, “It is time to close this chapter of my life and start writing the next. After countless prayers and many long discussions with my family, I am making the decision to forgo my senior year and enter the NFL Draft.”

Meeks would go on to mention his return to Stanford to finish his undergraduate degree in the “near future”.

Both Reid and Meeks are projected to be drafted in the second through fourth rounds of the NFL draft. However, much like Solomon Thomas and Christian McCaffrey from last year’s draft, both players have a chance to shoot up the draft boards given their performances, potential and coaching.

Reid and Meeks join seniors defensive tackle Harrison Phillips and tight-end Dalton Schultz as Stanford players ready to join the professional ranks. Junior running back and Heisman runner-up Bryce Love has yet, at this moment, to make a decision on his future, even as the deadline (Jan. 16) for declaring approaches.

Contact Jose Saldana at jsaldana ‘at’ stanford.edu.