Undefeated women’s water polo scorches Santa Clara 19-1

No. 1 Stanford women’s water polo moves to an 8-0 record after routing Santa Clara (3-8) 19-1 during its only game at the Cal Speedo Cup on Sunday.

After blanking the Broncos in the first two quarters, Stanford boasted an insurmountable 10-0 lead at the half. Junior Katie Dudley and senior Maggie Steffens each contributed a pair of scores in the opening quarter to put the Cardinal 5-0, while freshman Makenzie Fischer earned a hat trick in the second quarter only. Fischer went on to score a game-high five goals, bumping her counter to 17 scores this season.

Although the Cardinal allowed their only goal of the game in the third period, the quarter proved to be their most successful as they scored seven times. Dudley and Steffens completed their respective hat tricks in the penultimate period, while sophomore Madison Berggren added three of her own to complete her second hat trick this season.

Stanford also showed a powerful defense, allowing the Broncos to take only three shots. In the cage, senior Gaby Stone and redshirt junior Julia Hermann had one save apiece, as they both played half of the game.

Stanford will next play CSUN in their opening game of the Barbara Kalbus Invitational in Irvine next Friday.

Contact Alexandre Bucquet at bucqueta ‘at’ stanford.edu